Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#63881 by jbschwartz
Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:36 pm
Hi Folks,

Brand new to Ooma. Just got Ooma Telo today. Before buying, I read discussions about folks successfully supporting three lines using Ooma and the Panasonic KX-TA824. We're talking home office with both me and my wife needing dedicated line, plus the home line.

Now that I'm re-reading them, I'm realizing that they are using Hub and Scout products. I purchased the Telo product, which I figured was the latest most powerful/capable, and thus able to do what the Hub and Scout could do. Is that a wrong assumption?

Big Picture, I am looking to have the Ooma Telo + KX-TA824 let me have three phone lines. At the moment, one of the three lines is POTS and two are using Comcast Digital Voice. I plan to discontinue both. Best case, I get to use all three lines as described. I can also settle for having just 2 lines if the three lines is not possible...but that sort of negates the need for using the Panasonic PBX.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks
#63883 by murphy
Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:22 pm
If you need three physical phone lines the only way to do that with the Telo is to buy 3 Telos.
You can have a second line with a Telo but the only way to use both lines at the same time is with a Telo handset.

With a hub and a Scout you could have two physical phone lines.
With a hub and 2 Scouts you could have three physical phone lines but only two of them could be in use at the same time.
#63884 by jbschwartz
Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:11 pm
Thanks very much. Clearly, the Telo is not what I needed, then. A quick check on Craiglist reveals many options for buying Core or individual Hubs and Scouts. While I need 3 lines for incoming calls, (2 home office, 1 personal), we use them infrequently: zero to 30 minutes per day and never at the same time. In that case, once I return the ooma telo to Costco, would a hub and two scouts do the trick? Would this require three agreements with Ooma?

Finally, it just occurred to me that with a PBX such as the Panasonic KX-TA824, can we share one business line and use the automated attendant to direct calls. Is this way off base?

Jonathan
#63908 by jbschwartz
Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:23 am
An update...Murphy wrote,'If you need three physical phone lines..."

I need three telephone numbers for incoming calls (2 for home businesses and 1 for home personal). I am not sure if that is the same thing as three physical phone lines.

Does that change the answer at all?

Thx

J
#63910 by murphy
Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:58 am
The question is how many simultaneous phone calls do you need?
A Telo with two Personalized handsets can handle three phone numbers but only two simultaneous calls are possible.
The PBX is of no use to you in this environment.
If you want to keep the PBX and drive three incoming phone lines on the PBX, you need three Telos.
#63912 by ajw522
Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:03 am
If money is not an issue, I would recommend getting 3 Telos because if you browse these forums, many people, including myself, experienced static on the non-Ooma end while using the Ooma Scouts. Using the Hub or the Telo did not have any static on the non-Ooma end.