Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#64977 by murphy
Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:51 am
what2do wrote:Ok sorry if I sound slow
Are you referring to the order you turn them on? Or the modem plugs into the router and the router gets plugged into the Telo (which will not work with an Airport Express)

The order that they are connected together.
Connect the modem to the Internet port of the Ooma.
Connect the Ooma Home port to the Airport Express WAN port.
Since the AE has no LAN ports, only wireless, that is your only option.
The AE is a Wireless Access Point, not a router.
#64994 by highq
Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:49 am
Norman was referring to the connection chain, not the order of powering the devices.
#64999 by 3kids
Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:28 pm
instead of running it through your telo have your telo run through your apple router. if you have the basic set up already in running your router all you need to do is hook the telo to your router and that should solve your problem. hope that helps
#65478 by g3m2k1
Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:08 am
erics wrote:I think I can help (I have an Airport Extreme router) and used to experience this. Before I note my solution, please tell us the following:

1) Is your Internet connection working properly?

2) Is your connection DSL? If so, which device is handling PPPoE authentication?

3). Open Airport Utility, click on the Airport device shown in the right hand portion of the window, now click on the orange status light; you will now see reason for the orange status in the window. What does it say? Please post a screen shot of this or just post the message.

Look forward to your reply.

My set up is a white ethernet chord connecting the modem to the Ooma port "To Internet".
(All Ooma lights become blue).
A black chord provided in the Ooma telo package connects the Ooma port "Home Network" with the Airport extreme (sun icon).
(The amber light on the Airport Extreme blinks amber and I cannot connect to the internet from my wireless laptop.

When I check the Airport Utility as suggested in 3), it says the Ethernet chord is disconnected.
If I exchange chords (black for white) in the same configuration as above, the Ooma blinks red.

I think the white chord is an ethernet chord and the black one provided from the Ooma telo package is a phone chord, not an ethernet chord.

Is an ethernet chord needed to connect the Ooma "Home Network" port with the Apple Extreme?
Do I need to set the Apple Extreme to "bridge"? Is so, how? Any suggestions?
#65487 by southsound
Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:46 am
Both the Home Network and the To Internet jacks must use ethernet cables. You cannot use a normal phone cable for either one.
#65659 by gnick03
Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:36 am
You have to connect your modem to your Airport extreme and the Airport Extreme to the Ooma telo ("To Internet" socket).
Once everything is connected you can turn on everything. If the ligth at the Airport extreme is still amber you have to go to your computer and in Aiport extreme menu change it to "bridge". This should work. If it doesn't try to disconnect the power and coaxial cable out of the modem and connected back again after a few minutes. This should reset the system.
Good luck!
#66550 by golfercurt
Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:21 am
I too have an Apple Extreme Router and noticed the same thing.

Can someone elaborate what happens if the router is set to Bridge Mode.

Thanks
#72913 by Kari
Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:46 pm
Yes Please elaborate.

I have the Ooma between my cable modem and apple Apple Airport Extreme

My Airport Extreme has a amber light and the network preference window opened and asked me to possible change to Bridge mode. What the heck is bridge mode?

Yet I am still on the internet and my husband is using netflix fine. My calls sound great and phone rings and takes messages. Just this dang blinking yellow light on router. I have not changed to bridge because everything is working.

Any apple users out there? How to I make the apple router happy and the yellow light to turn green?