Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#63508 by Zombie
Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:21 pm
Hi,

I have a new OOMA telo. I have it registered and working with a new phone number. I have FIOS at home so no copper lines coming in the house. In the box outside the house I pulled the blue and white wires that said (voice and line1). I have not disconnected existing line. I wanted to make sure everything works before I port existing number.

When I hook up a phone to phone jack on Ooma telo I get the dial tone and everything works but when I connect phone jack (not wall jack) of OOMA to the wall I don't get the dial tone in rest of the house. Any suggestions on how I can fix the dial tone distribution issue?

Thanks.
#63543 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:19 am
I think you meant you disconnected the house wiring from the telephone company when you said "pulled the wires" right?

Once you disconnect the telephone company from your house wiring, need to feedback ooma dialtone and plug in a phone to working jacks (meaning before the disconnect, you get landline dialtone from those jacks but dead after). This is to eliminate the possiblity of jacks that are wired for line2 getting in the picture.

I am guessing you saw this thread? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6853
#63548 by Zombie
Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:39 am
Yes, I disconnected LINE 1 wiring in NIB box outside the house.

Then I connected phone jack of telo to regular phone that works but when I connect phone jack of telo and connect it to previously working wall jack there is no dialtone anywhere else in the house.

One more thing to point out is that I have FIOS and no real copper line ( copper was cut when they installed FIOS).
#63550 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:19 am
So that means you have Fios voice? Your Verizon box is feeding back dialtone to your house wire somewhere? Are you disconnecting that feedback point and doing that same feedback using your ooma box?
#63552 by Zombie
Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:36 am
Well I guess this is where it gets confusing. According to Fairpoint Communications I have a landline which makes no sense since verizon cut the copper coming in to the house when they installed FIOS.

I don't know where else to disconnect the phone lines. Only place left is inside where incoming line is connected with rest of house jack lines.
#63553 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:41 am
If you have Fios voice, and you have dialtone throughout the house, that means Fios is feeding back dialtone somewhere (maybe outside the house but not sure). Once you disconnect that interface, then your house jacks would be dead. Then test distribution of your ooma dialtone.
#63555 by Zombie
Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:55 am
That is what I did. I disconnected LINE1 wiring outside the house in NIB box. My lines went dead yet no dialtone when TELO was hooked up.
#63557 by tommies
Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:47 am
How many (blue and white) wires do you have at the NIB? If you have more than one bunch of wires (i.e. 2+ blue wires and 2+ white wires), those wires need to be connected together color by color.

By saying a bunch of wire I mean a CAT3 or CAT5 cable, which has multiple twisted pairs of wires with different colors. If there are two or more wires with the same color, they have to come from different bunches.
#63559 by Zombie
Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 am
NIB box had 1 single white wire and 1 single blue wire.

In house junction box has total of 8 cat 3 wires. 7 for jacks and 1 coming in. Cat3 is stripped and twisted in 2 places. I am not sure about colors, I guess that is something I will have check tonight to make sure they are either all same color or same line.