Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#63367 by savora
Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:42 pm
Hi, a few questions. Thanks in advance

I just purchased the telo and connected it. I initiated porting my old number over.

Currently. The phone attached to the telo does not ring. When an incoming call comes in, the phone attached does not ring. Also when picking up this phone, I get the OOMA dialtone.

Also, the other phones do not have the OOMA dialtone when I pick it up.

Voicemail does not pick up.

Will this get fixed once the number is ported?

Thanks for your help.
#63378 by highq
Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:27 pm
savora wrote:Hi, a few questions. Thanks in advance

I just purchased the telo and connected it. I initiated porting my old number over.

Please elaborate what you mean by "connected".

Currently. The phone attached to the telo does not ring. When an incoming call comes in, the phone attached does not ring. Also when picking up this phone, I get the OOMA dialtone.

Also, the other phones do not have the OOMA dialtone when I pick it up.

What are "the other phones", how are they connected to the Telo?

Voicemail does not pick up.

What tests have you conducted to show this?

Will this get fixed once the number is ported?

Thanks for your help.
#63385 by savora
Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:56 pm
I connected the telo using option 2b

I have a cordless phone wired to the telo using the phone port
i have a seperate wire in the wall port going to the wall.
In another part of the house , I have another cordless phone that is attached to the wall w/answering system
(this phone when I pick up has normal dial tone , not OOMA)

I called my house with a cell phone, (the non-telo phone rings and the phone connected to the telo does not. If I pick up the latter phone (telo), I get the OOMA dialtone (does not connect with the cell phone)

Pretty strange ?
#63478 by Electron Mover
Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:26 am
Not strange at all!! Only the device connected to the "phone" jack on the Telo gets Ooma dial tone or will ring when called with the "correct" number. Until your number is ported, I would leave the Telo connected as "is". If you signed up for "Premier" service and you picked a second number, the second number will ring the device connected to the Telo phone jack.
Once your number has been ported and you have disconnected the "phone company" from your house phone wiring, you can connect the Telo phone jack to a house wall jack to distribute Ooma dial tone to all the jacks in the house.
I hope this helps.
Bill
#63479 by savora
Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:04 am
Thanks for your help.

I will wait till the number is ported then.

I do find it strange though that the phone connect to the telo does not ring and acts more like the "instant second line"

Also, the voicemail never picks up despite turning off the other answering machine.
#63482 by southsound
Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:43 am
First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum!

I am a little confused about your configuration. Not the actual wiring - which may be just fine if you elected to use your existing phone number until your phone ports - they call this "integrated landline" and is not recommended by most of the folks here on the forum. It comes with lots of problems including splotchy Caller ID, quirky voicemail, etc. But from what you are describing, you are most likely in standalone mode - and that is a good thing. If the advice below does not work, see my last line.

What standalone mode means is that the Telo works without a landline. It gives you a real test of how well the Telo will work for your needs and with your Internet connection. Most of us prefer it. Try disconnecting the cord that goes from the wall to the WALL jack on the Telo. When ooma set up your system, they probably gave you an ooma phone number. If you remember it, dial it from a phone connected to your landline. The phone connected to the Telo should ring with this ooma number. If you have Caller ID on your landine, try calling it from your Telo connected phone. The number displayed should be your ooma number. Now - if you want to use your existing number for people to call in on, just use call forwarding on your landline to send all calls to the new ooma number. There may be a monthly charge from your telephone company but many people have it as part of a package and even if not, it is only about $3-5 per month.

Let us know how the above advice works out for you. If it doesn't work, let us know so we can do more troubleshooting. We're glad you're here!
#63488 by Electron Mover
Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:13 am
I think your problem is a lack of understanding how Ooma works. When you activated your Telo I am assuming you made your current phone number your Ooma number and that you have not gotten a second number. If that is the case , read on; if not reread the post above!!
Your current number will NOT ring your Telo and therefore none of the devices connected to it will ring and the Telo voice mail won't work until the number is ported to Ooma. This is confusing because when you use the phone with Ooma dial tone ( connected to the " Phone" jack on the Ooma) and call a phone (perhaps your cell phone) the caller ID shows your current phone number and therefore you assume that calling your number will also call the Telo, but it rings your home phone as usual!! Ooma will display whatever number you registered with, because that number is only used internally by Ooma at this point and it won't be connected to the "outside" with your current number until it ports. So, until your number ports, the only way to call in to your Telo is to pick a second number which is included with the premier service level and can be purchased for a nominal monthly fee otherwise.
I hope this clarifies things for you.
Bill
#63492 by WayneDsr
Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:21 am
If you integrated your Telo with your landline and used your landline number disconnect any phone connected to the wall jacks.
Make sure your Telo's Wall port is connected to the house wall jack, and you have a working phone connected to the Telo's PHONE input.
The phone connected to the Telo should ring when your landline number is dialed. All incoming calls should ring in through the Telo and all local outgoing calls should route through your landline. All outgoing long distance calls will route through the Telo.

If you chose to install the Telo with out landline integration and have a new number from Ooma, see Southsounds post above.

Wayne
#63503 by savora
Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:05 pm
Thanks for the responses.

It looks like I will have to wait until the port goes through to see how well everything really works.

One last question: How important/necessary is it to take the second number offered by ooma?
I have a google voice number BTW already.
#63511 by Electron Mover
Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:56 pm
Savora,
I owe you an apology. I forgot that I unplugged the Telo wall jack shortly after I set up the Telo and WayneDsr is correct, the phone connected to the Telo phone jack will ring when the Telo wall jack is connected to a house wall jack, usually by the second ring.
You do not need to get the second number now. To see how the Telo will work with your house wiring before your number ports, you will need the second number to forward your call to....see southsound's post above.
I hope this is helpful and again I apologize for any confusion my earlier post(s) may have caused. :o
Regards,
Bill