Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#63225 by scg
Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:13 am
I am a new Ooma user (Core) as of a couple of weeks ago. I've tested different setup scenarios and have not had any problems getting the dial tone out to where I need it, with and without the Scout. I am a bit confused regarding the phone numbers though, and what I will end up with after porting my current house lines into Ooma. I chose a number when I activated, assuming it will be the temp number that goes away after I port a number in. This number is tied into my account login. I've also selected a second number (not sure if it is "personal" or "virtual") which I would like to use to test using Scout as personal device. After my first port goes through, will I have an opportunity to decide which number is replaced? My next question is whether a "virtual" or "personal" number is another temp number which goes away after my second number is ported in, or is it an instant second line number that I will be able to keep along with my two ported numbers. Can someone explain the differences between the different types of numbers? Thanks.
#63248 by tommies
Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:13 pm
In the process of porting your number, the ported number maybe unavailable for some times, hence the temp. number to be used. After the porting complete, your ported number will become the main number, and the temp. number turns to secondary during the premier free trial. If you do not have premier after the free trial expired, the 2nd/temp. number will go away.

A virtual number is used with Google voice extension (GVE) and only works with the new Telo device + premier.

A personal number is a number which is assigned to a personal device, which, in turn, only rings when the personal/assigned number is called. This feature also requires premier.
#63252 by jhphone
Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:50 pm
Just a verification of what tommies said above. I just bought an Ooma Telo, signed up for Premium, and requested number porting on Aug 16. It was completed today, as advertised. Took about 10 days. I have (had!) ATT as my landline provider and Comcast for cable Internet service.

Everything went smoothly. Here is the Porting Status report from My Ooma:

Porting status for (650)XXX-XXXX

* Porting from: ATT
* Name on phone bill: NNNNNNNNNNN
* Account #: 650 XXXXXXXXXX

Step ....................... Comments
Order received ......... Received order on Aug 17, 2010
Information verified .. Your porting info was verified on Aug 17, 2010
Port initiated ............ Number port is estimated to complete on Aug 26, 2010
Port scheduled for completion ...... Your port is scheduled to complete on Aug 26, 2010
Port completed ......... Your port completed on Aug 26, 2010

Today I called my "old" number and it was received on Line 1 of the Ooma. When I called the temp number it was received on Line 2. In either case, the attached Panasonic phone rang. When I dial out it uses Line 1 with the old number.

I'm not sure at this point how I can have my Panasonic cordless phones indicate which number was received. However, it makes little difference as I haven't yet given out the temp number.

EDIT: By going to My Ooma, Preferences, Phone Numbers I can select a distinct Ring Pattern for each number. I set the "temp" number to S-S, which is short-short. It still rings, but I can ignore it.

It seems that, unless I get the wireless Ooma phone, the second line is not usable in the sense of a separate line. This is not important to me if I can have all calls to the temp number go immediately to voicemail and not ring.

A reviewer on Amazon said he uses his other number as a "throwaway" for when he has to provide a number for online activity. Subsequent phone spam doesn't bother him with a ring. I would like to do this too.
Last edited by jhphone on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#63258 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:05 pm
I know that with the Telo handset (as well as the Scout), you can press & hold the envelope button for about 3 seconds and this will enable or disable the Do Not Disturb feature. However, I am not sure if this feature is independent per private device. If someone can confirm this, what you want to do can be done but you'll need a Telo handset as a private device with your 2nd # assigned to it.