Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#62907 by hpdad
Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:20 am
Currently have land line and DSL with Verizon.
Using Ooma system for over a year and very happy with the product.
We are in process of moving to the new place.
We want to get rid of land line and use dry DSL only.
Don't plan to port number.
Any advice how to?

Call internet provider if they offer dry DSL? No Verizon in new area but AT&T. Can I use Xtreme DSL or any other provider available in new area?
When dry DSL is established, just connect Ooma in usual way and that's it?
I assumed numbers been provided by ooma is still same?
#62908 by DTMF
Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:34 am
hpdad wrote:Call internet provider if they offer dry DSL? No Verizon in new area but AT&T. Can I use Xtreme DSL or any other provider available in new area?
When dry DSL is established, just connect Ooma in usual way and that's it?
I assumed numbers been provided by ooma is still same?

All of that will work as you describe. My only caveat is to make sure that your new DSL provider's connection is at least as fast as your current provider's connection. That will be the best way to assure that the quality of your calls will be about the same as it is now. A slower connection may reduce the audio quality of your calls.
#62911 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:07 am
Yes, your ooma number would still be good.

Cable internet is good too. No matter DSL or cable, just make sure you don't sign up to the "Lite" version where they cap your speed. If they cap your speed, then, you'll have problems with voice quality.
#62914 by hpdad
Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:39 am
Thanks guys.

I know connection speed is affected audio quality. However, I am in luck so far. I have 768/367 but still happy with ooma quality.
#62919 by hpdad
Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:45 pm
Just called AT&T. They charge for the modem is $100.

Is there any good modem recommendation?
#62920 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:55 pm
hpdad wrote:Just called AT&T. They charge for the modem is $100.

Is there any good modem recommendation?

I've had Westell 327W with wifi router; it worked good.
Why $100? Don't they give you a modem when you sign up? (maybe 18 months contract)

Look into cable modem, maybe their startup cost is cheaper.
#62925 by hpdad
Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:13 pm
On their web site said the modem is free after rebate. The problem is it is for online order only, and I can't order dry loop online. So, I called them back and complained. They gave me a 70$ gift card. I still have 30 days return the modem with no charge if I am not satisfied. Will see.
#62929 by scoutconnor
Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:49 pm
lbmofo wrote:Yes, your ooma number would still be good.

Cable internet is good too. No matter DSL or cable, just make sure you don't sign up to the "Lite" version where they cap your speed. If they cap your speed, then, you'll have problems with voice quality.

I've had both "lite" versions of Time Warner Cable Internet as well as Verizon DSL and both speeds have been more than enough to support VoIP services such as Ooma and Skype.
#62932 by tommies
Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:56 pm
Here is the link for dry-loop ATT DSL, it's called DSL Direct, and the modem is not free thought.
http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=11523

You can buy a DSL modem (some model are combine with router) from Bestbuy, Fry's Electronic, etc. The price is around $50-$100. Again, a link to a listing of some modem.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... em&x=0&y=0
#63019 by scoutconnor
Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:37 pm
tommies wrote:Here is the link for dry-loop ATT DSL, it's called DSL Direct, and the modem is not free thought.
http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=11523

You can buy a DSL modem (some model are combine with router) from Bestbuy, Fry's Electronic, etc. The price is around $50-$100. Again, a link to a listing of some modem.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... em&x=0&y=0

Craigslist and eBay are also good places to look for a DSL modem.