Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#62722 by ooma-noob
Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:21 pm
Just bought a ooma telo.
After I connect network cables from ooma "Internet" port to cable modem port and connect OOMA Home network port to my wireless router WAN port,
and plug power to OOMA,
and after OOMA initially update and the logo turn to solid blue,

the strange things happens, the OOMA became extremely hot and the 2 NIC port LED lights goes out (not entirely out, only have extremely weak orange blink).

Checked nothing wrong with my cabble modem, router and cables. Just wonder my ooma's NIC ports are malfunctioning?

Thanks,
#62724 by murphy
Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:43 pm
The Ooma should not get hot.
The highest temperature on mine is at the Ooma logo and is 98 degrees F.
Verify that you didn't plug a live landline into a LAN port. A phone plug will fit into an RJ-45 connector. A LAN port can't handle the 48 volts that is on a standard landline.
#62762 by tony29
Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:26 pm
I have the same problem. I connect RJ-45 cable from the Modem-Router to the "To Internet" port, and the phone cable to the phone port (not mixed-up at all). After the initial update, the logo turned beautiful blue and I made 2 calls and they are very sounded and clear and I was happy. Couple hours later, I could not make any more call, I check the OOMA Telo unit, it was very hot and off. I unplug it and wait for few minutes then reconnect, it keeps getting red logo and then turn off again. Obviously, I did not connect the wrong cables that murphy mentioned above. What did I do wrong and whether my OOMA Telo unit was burned? Thanks for answering.