Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#62806 by nibes
Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:15 am
Update - adding ooma's ip address into my router as the DNS didn't help.
#62812 by murphy
Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:59 pm
nibes wrote:OK - I thought that was clear. I set up modem - ooma - router. When I do that I cannot get an internet connection. I just read a post that indicates I need to put the ooma ip address 172/27.35.1 as my router's DNS server. I'm about to try that. For what it's worth, I'm required to use a static IP address with my ISP - is that a problem?

Did you put the static IP address, the mask, the gateway IP address , and your ISP's DNS address(s) in the Ooma and set the router to get it's IP address via DHCP?
#62829 by nibes
Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:38 pm
OK - first of all, I couldn't even access the ooma because it wouldn't see the internet connection. However, I have a friend who is a true geek, writes code in his sleep kind of a guy, who looked at the setup, and tried successfully to simply hook up ooma as a computer. We went from the modem to the router, then from the router to the internet jack on the ooma, and now everything works just fine. This is described as option 2B in the setup instructions for an integrated Modem/Router, except that I have separate modem and router.

In addition, I am still unable to get an internet connection if I do as 2B says to do, which is plug my computer into the ooma so ooma can prioritize the phone calls. I MUST leave my computer plugged into my router.

So - I'm up and running. I'll check with my ISP is the advice about putting the addresses in the Ooma will work OK with their service.

Thanks for the good advice.
#62831 by murphy
Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:54 am
You only need to connect a computer to the Ooma Home port when you want to gain access to the setup page inside of the Ooma. Once it is configured, you can leave the Home port empty. Check the configuration of your router to see if it supports QOS. If it does, give the Ooma box a high priority.
#62836 by nibes
Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:52 am
Murphy....
I really appreciate your posts. Thanks for the help. Is there any, single source document, such as a pdf manual that goes into detail on this and other Ooma set up and use issues that a guy could download?
#62840 by murphy
Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:29 am
nibes wrote:Murphy....
I really appreciate your posts. Thanks for the help. Is there any, single source document, such as a pdf manual that goes into detail on this and other Ooma set up and use issues that a guy could download?

Not that I am aware of.