Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#62475 by diytech123
Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:05 pm
I have setup my OOMA and enabled the home phone jacks to get OOMA dial tone. However ADT system seems to work haphazardly. When I tried doing the Alarm test, the test signal seems to take 3 to 4 minutes to reach the ADT monitoring facility. I tried couple of times and each time it was a delayed signal to ADT (ADT rep told me about the test signals reaching their facility based on their logs). I have worked with ADT rep to force an alarm, and the ADT rep did not receive any signal from my home system while I was talking to him (it was more than 3 minutes after the alarm went off, ADT did not receive any signals from my home phone). Immediately following the test signal, I do see my OOMA phone loosing connection and I do see "NO SIGNAL" on my handsets and no dial tone on my phones. I also see "Comm Failure " on ADT panel. May be after 5 minutes or so, I do get the dial tone back on my phones, but the alarm panel still shows "Comm Failure". After 2 hours or so, I see the "Comm Failure" message gone from my ADT panel.

Recently I switched from Vonage to OOMA. With Vonage, I did not have any ADT security alarm issues.

So what should I do to resolve these issues? I heard sme one suggesting, *99 to preceed the number. Is it something that I could do or call installer to program it? Any suggestions?
#62487 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Sounds like your line seizure is working fine since Vonage used to work okay with the alarm?

I found the *99 prefix to be worse when calling with my ADT panel. I found disabling call waiting increased reliability dramatically vs without any prefix.

I was talking about it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4804&start=20#p52657

As far as programming the ADT panel to add dialing prefix, check this out: http://forum.doityourself.com/electroni ... l-out.html

Read the FAQ here for much info: http://forum.doityourself.com/electroni ... sting.html
#62498 by DTMF
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:57 am
I have a security system originally installed by ADT that is now serviced by Hawk Security. The Hawk technician spent 30 minutes trying to get my system to connect to Hawk's network via Ooma and was unable to get it to connect. Instead, he installed a direct network interface that connects to Hawk via the Internet, but fools the security system into thinking it's connecting via dialup. You may need one of these boxes if ADT offers them.
#62669 by diytech123
Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:04 pm
lbmofo wrote:Sounds like your line seizure is working fine since Vonage used to work okay with the alarm?

I found the *99 prefix to be worse when calling with my ADT panel. I found disabling call waiting increased reliability dramatically vs without any prefix.

I was talking about it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4804&start=20#p52657

As far as programming the ADT panel to add dialing prefix, check this out: http://forum.doityourself.com/electroni ... l-out.html

Read the FAQ here for much info: http://forum.doityourself.com/electroni ... sting.html

LBMOFO,

Thank you for your response. I am still having the issue. I have added *70 in front of the ADT dial home, and tried TEST signal to ADT. They were not able to see the device calling them. Did you have to change make changes to any other fields other than "41"? (sucha s #40, #91).

Also I do have a second line from OOMA and it seems to play a message waiting tone wheever I use that line. Could this be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance!
#62671 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:14 pm
Are you seeing the calls to ADT on your my ooma call log when you do phone test using your panel?

I've modified 3 fields

40 PABX Access Code; set it to #+11 70 #+13 (*70 pause)
41 Primary Phone No; set it to 866787xxxx
42 Secondary Phone No; set it to 866787xxxx same number as above ADT toll free central office number

Don't try to put the *99 dialing prefix in front of the number. *70 and *99 don't mix; won't dial out.

#40, #41, #42 to display the existing value 1 digit at a time
*40, *41, *42 to program
exit the field by *
exit the program mode by *99
#62821 by diytech123
Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:42 pm
lbmofo wrote:Are you seeing the calls to ADT on your my ooma call log when you do phone test using your panel?

I've modified 3 fields

40 PABX Access Code; set it to #+11 70 #+13 (*70 pause)
41 Primary Phone No; set it to 866787xxxx
42 Secondary Phone No; set it to 866787xxxx same number as above ADT toll free central office number

Don't try to put the *99 dialing prefix in front of the number. *70 and *99 don't mix; won't dial out.

#40, #41, #42 to display the existing value 1 digit at a time
*40, *41, *42 to program
exit the field by *
exit the program mode by *99

lbmofo,
When I I tried with fields 40 (*70), 41(ADT call home number) and 42 (ADT call home number), signal did not go out at all.

However when I made field 40, "blanK (no data), I do see the calls going out. I checked OOMA call logs, and I do see 5 calls went out. I checked with ADT, and they said they received the test signal after 5 minutes of the actual test (but my call logs show 5 tries each spaced about 1 minute with 15-20 seconds range.

My OOMA configuration looks like this. Can you tell me how you configured your OOMA?

Cable Modem -> Router -> OOMA -> Phone Jack

I know this is different from what OOMA suggests (Cable ->OOMA ->Router). But I am skeptical about giving internet traffic control to OOMA device first. Do you think that would be causing the issue?

The observation is that even before adding *70, ADT test signal did take 5 minutes to reach the control center. So I see no difference in behavior between no -prefix and *70 prefix.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
I appreciate your help on this.
#62822 by murphy
Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:39 pm
A *99 pause prefix is required to send data.
*70 is not necessary. The chance that an incoming call will interrupt the call is very small.
Enter the following into 40
# 1 1 9 9 # 1 3

#11 enters an asterisk
#13 enters a pause
#62854 by lbmofo
Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:29 pm
diytech123 wrote:lbmofo,
When I I tried with fields 40 (*70), 41(ADT call home number) and 42 (ADT call home number), signal did not go out at all.

If calls were never made (no records in call log), either the 40 field *70pause wasn't entered correctly (#1170#13) or your 41, 42 fields still had *99 in front of the ADT toll free numbers?

However when I made field 40, "blanK (no data), I do see the calls going out. I checked OOMA call logs, and I do see 5 calls went out. I checked with ADT, and they said they received the test signal after 5 minutes of the actual test (but my call logs show 5 tries each spaced about 1 minute with 15-20 seconds range.

If I use *99 in field 40, I get 100% failure. If I leave 40 blank, I get random results: most of the time, call is successful after 3, 4 or even 5 tries. If I use *70 in the field 40, I get better results: mostly success on 1st attempt or at most 2nd try.

My OOMA configuration looks like this. Can you tell me how you configured your OOMA?

Cable Modem -> Router -> OOMA -> Phone Jack

I know this is different from what OOMA suggests (Cable ->OOMA ->Router). But I am skeptical about giving internet traffic control to OOMA device first. Do you think that would be causing the issue?

I have modem -> ooma -> router but I am not sure if that would make any difference. In my configuartion, I aslo Use Built in Modem Port MAC Address: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8045

The observation is that even before adding *70, ADT test signal did take 5 minutes to reach the control center. So I see no difference in behavior between no -prefix and *70 prefix.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
I appreciate your help on this.
#63169 by diytech123
Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:15 am
lbmofo,
Thanks for your step-by-step explanation. Looks like my test signal is going through this time. Here is what I have done:
Field 40 - BLANK
Field 41 - ADT call-home number *701888XXXYYYY
Field 42 - ADT call-home number *701888XXXYYYY
With this configuration, I am getting the signal go thru. Also I am seeing a message "PHONE OKAY" after a TEST signal.
No longer phone gets jammed with NO LINE.

Call logs have shown 3 attempts once and 1 attempt once when I tried the test signal.

Thanks for your help and insight in setting this right.
#63177 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:46 am
When you setup field 40, were you missing a pause after the *70?

If you put *70 in the phone number field, you probably want to insert a pause after *70 and before the phone number to be safe.