Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#62266 by jhphone
Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:57 pm
I just received my Ooma Telo today and initiated the number port process. I have a new Ooma number that I can use for incoming and outgoing calls. No confusion in this regard.

But I am not clear about how to use my landline and old (current) number while I'm waiting for the port process to complete.

Setup: The Ooma is connected to the wall plug and my phone into the Telo. I expect that the Ooma should "see" an incoming call from the telco connection and cause the phone to ring. It does not.

With the connections as described, when I call my cellphone from home, its caller ID shows my Ooma number. This is fine. My call went through Ooma which completed the call.

But when I call my current phone number nothing happens. It doesn't ring. It seems that the landline connection is useless.

IOW, I would like for the incoming call to be passed through to my phone. If this were possible then I could use just one phone for incoming calls to either number (and outgoing via Ooma).

But now, to receive calls, I have to unplug the phone from the Ooma and plug it into the wall. Then, to make a free long distance call, I have to unplug the phone from the Ooma and plug it into the wall.

This is screwy! What is the purpose of the WALL connection on the Ooma if it can neither make outgoing nor receive incoming calls?

I must have a hook-up error.
#62269 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:32 pm
To have it work as you describe, you'd have to setup your device in landline integration mode. This mode is not recommended. Standalone setup is better where you have a temp ooma number assigned to your device as you have it (less issues). For the duration of the port process, just forward your landline # to your ooma number and just use the phone connected to your ooma device.
#62352 by jhphone
Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:57 am
... This mode is not recommended. Standalone setup is better where you have a temp ooma number assigned to your device as you have it (less issues). For the duration of the port process, just forward your landline # to your ooma number and just use the phone connected to your ooma device.

Thanks. This makes sense.