Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#62131 by mikesv
Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:29 am
I have cable internet.

The ooma is currently installed and working BUT I have not distributed the dial tone over the whole house (until my time warner voip port completes 8/26).

When time warner goes offline, I would l like to have a phone plugged in by the hub (basement), the dialtone throughout the house, and the scout to be a "voicemail access point" upstairs.

If I am correct, I will need a splitter in the Hub's PHONE port (one line to distribute the dial tone, one for a phone), a splitter at the nearest wall jack (to plug in both the Hub's Phone and Wall), and for best results a splitter near the phone jack I would like to place the scout (one to plug into the scout's WALL port, 1 to run to a phone).

So, 3 splitters.

What kind of splitters should I buy?

Do splitters have any impact on the quality of service/calls?

On a side note:
I am pretty certain that once my premier trial has ended, I will not subscribe. While the instant second line on the scout is interesting, are the call quality issues common or dependent on my individual experience? Are there successful uses of the scout's phone port out there? Are there ways to try and make sure the scout's outgoing quality will be better?

Thanks!
#62141 by roadshow
Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:36 am
Why wait for your cable to port? I just forward my cable phone number to the OOMA number and than you can send the dial tone through the house. btw, I have a scout connected, but I only use it for the voicemail. I think the voice sounds scratchy through the Scout's phone port.
#62142 by tommies
Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:39 am
mikesv wrote:I have cable internet.

The ooma is currently installed and working BUT I have not distributed the dial tone over the whole house (until my time warner voip port completes 8/26).

When time warner goes offline, I would l like to have a phone plugged in by the hub (basement), the dialtone throughout the house, and the scout to be a "voicemail access point" upstairs.

If I am correct, I will need a splitter in the Hub's PHONE port (one line to distribute the dial tone, one for a phone), a splitter at the nearest wall jack (to plug in both the Hub's Phone and Wall), and for best results a splitter near the phone jack I would like to place the scout (one to plug into the scout's WALL port, 1 to run to a phone).

So, 3 splitters.

What kind of splitters should I buy?

Do splitters have any impact on the quality of service/calls?

On a side note:
I am pretty certain that once my premier trial has ended, I will not subscribe. While the instant second line on the scout is interesting, are the call quality issues common or dependent on my individual experience? Are there successful uses of the scout's phone port out there? Are there ways to try and make sure the scout's outgoing quality will be better?

Thanks!

You need a duplex splitter, and you need 3 of them: one at the hub's PHONE port and one at the wall jack where you want a phone + the scout.

PS.
You only need to buy 2 splitter because ooma package contains one.
#62146 by godd
Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 am
I am confused here. I was about to setup OOMA exactly as it was described in the original post but why do I need a splitters?
My planned setup: cable modem is in a basememt, ooma will be connected to the modem and supposedly ooma's WALL port will be connected to house's phone system. In this case I can connect a base unit of my cordless phone to any house's wall sockets. I also thought in order to use a scout device to access ooma's voicemail (because a hub will be in a basement) all that I need is to put scout in between wall socket and my phone base. I am planning to use just basic service with 1 line and without any other landlines. Why do I need splitters?
#62158 by mikesv
Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:58 pm
roadshow wrote:Why wait for your cable to port? I just forward my cable phone number to the OOMA number and than you can send the dial tone through the house. btw, I have a scout connected, but I only use it for the voicemail. I think the voice sounds scratchy through the Scout's phone port.

I was going to do that, but my wife was concerned that a different outgoing caller-id for these few weeks would confuse people (ie her parents). I may still do it anyway, but I am on the fence.

tommies wrote:You need a duplex splitter, and you need 3 of them: one at the hub's PHONE port and one at the wall jack where you want a phone + the scout.
PS.
You only need to buy 2 splitter because ooma package contains one.

Thank you! I had forgot about the additional gifts in the box. Outstanding.
#62160 by mikesv
Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:04 pm
godd wrote:I am confused here. I was about to setup OOMA exactly as it was described in the original post but why do I need a splitters?
My planned setup: cable modem is in a basememt, ooma will be connected to the modem and supposedly ooma's WALL port will be connected to house's phone system. In this case I can connect a base unit of my cordless phone to any house's wall sockets. I also thought in order to use a scout device to access ooma's voicemail (because a hub will be in a basement) all that I need is to put scout in between wall socket and my phone base. I am planning to use just basic service with 1 line and without any other landlines. Why do I need splitters?

I believe that to distribute a dial tone to any phone jack, you need to connect the PHONE port. The WALL port would allow you to connect and use a scout (+ Phone via the Scout's PHONE port I think) at any jack, but not a phone by itself. If you plugged your phone base into the phone jack of the HUB and had no need to plug in another phone by itself, what you are describing would probably work fine. (I think)

I want to have a phone plugged into the HUB, have the HUB feed voice to any port (with or without a Scout), and have the ability to put a Scout in a different room. So I need the Phone and Wall ports of the Hub to feed into a single wall jack.

There are many here who can describe the particulars of different signals sent by the WALL And PHONE ports, but that is beyond me.
#62185 by godd
Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:50 am
Well, so you are saying that both WALL and PHONE ports of Ooma hub should be connected to the home phone wiring in order to connect a phone and Scout to any of phone jacks around a house? And I need a splitter for this.. That makes sense.. Thanks for an explanation.