Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#62120 by rick917
Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:07 pm
Hello...I am new to Ooma and I am looking forward to saving some money. I have installed the Telo and handset and both of my previous numbers (VoIP) have been successfully ported. I cannot however use my second line on my Telo. I have distributed my primary number through the house but cannot seemingly assign the second number to the Telo handset. Help!!! :o
#62126 by murphy
Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:36 am
With the two numbers in shared mode a call to either number should ring all of your phones.
A call using the second number's caller ID can be made by dialing **1 before you dial the number.
Note that the lines and numbers are not related. The first call will always use line 1. A second call while line 1 is in use will use line 2.

If you want to lock the second number to a handset you have to create a personal device using the desired handset and then assign the second number to the personal device.
#62140 by highq
Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:09 am
rick917 wrote:That is exactly what I want to do, lock the second number to the handset. How do I do that?

#62143 by rick917
Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:07 am
Completed successfully. I actually had the install correct to include the association, the confusion came when I tried to dial from my primary number to my secondary number. Apparently you cannot do that on the Ooma system. Tech support worked called both numbers and the calls came through with no problem, even on the telo handset. A slight drawback from my other system where we could dial from one number to the other number within the house but I think everyone will be fine, they can use the intercom system... :P
#62151 by southsound
Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:17 pm
rick917 wrote:Completed successfully. I actually had the install correct to include the association, the confusion came when I tried to dial from my primary number to my secondary number. Apparently you cannot do that on the Ooma system. Tech support worked called both numbers and the calls came through with no problem, even on the telo handset. A slight drawback from my other system where we could dial from one number to the other number within the house but I think everyone will be fine, they can use the intercom system... :P

Actually, the Telo has a very nice built-in intercom system if you have the handset. Push the little button on the bottom right of the Telo handset and it will bring up a menu to ring other handsets or phones connected to the base. If you have several Telo handsets, it gets really nice. You can also call the Telo handset from a phone connected to the base but I'm not at home right now and raccoons have a very short attention span. What were we talking about?

Maybe someone else can chime in about calling the Telo handset from a base connected phone.
#62159 by rick917
Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:00 pm
Ok, thanks for that information. I just tried to call from the telo handset using the intercom system to the phone connected to the telo base and it was flawless, thanks!!! Now if someone can help with calling from my base phone to the telo handset that will be a wrap. If not, I may buy another telo handset and associate it with my primary number.
#62163 by murphy
Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:44 pm
rick917 wrote:Ok, thanks for that information. I just tried to call from the telo handset using the intercom system to the phone connected to the telo base and it was flawless, thanks!!! Now if someone can help with calling from my base phone to the telo handset that will be a wrap. If not, I may buy another telo handset and associate it with my primary number.

Dial *01 for handset 1, *02 for handset 2 etc.
#62166 by rick917
Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:52 pm
Awesome!!! Thanks so much everyone for the help!!! Dialing *01 works perfectly, now my wife and mother-inlaw can dial phone to phone and the stars have aligned, the world is in balance... :D Looking forward to calling Comcast tomorrow and saying bye bye....
#62175 by southsound
Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:04 pm
I just want to thank murphy and a slew of others for their great help to users on this forum. I know that there are many who deserve recognition, and I appreciate every one of you who is there for the new customer or the person having an unusual problem. This recognition is not to say that anyone else isn't important - There are about 30 of us who probably spend way more time here than sanity could justify. But today it's all about murphy in my mind - he is always there with an answer and great advice. And I just noticed that he's at almost 3000 posts. I wonder if he'll still talk to us mortals when he passes the golden threshold. :shock:

Now for the rest of you awesome partners on the forum, I love you too. Time for a group hug.