Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#62102 by anthonytexas
Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:40 am
- AT&T DSL service
- Canceled landline in May
- Bought Ooma Core + Scout system in August
- Set up hub in office works like a charm
- Office wall jack has dsl filter/splitter (1 for dsl go to modem, 1 for 'phone' go to Ooma Hub)
- Set up Scout in kitchen failed (red lights at bottom).
- Kitchen wall jack has single filter for phone only (connected to Scout).

I tried the Scout to Hub, wall-to-wall test to verify that the Scout was functional. So I guess the issue is with the wiring at the NIB outside. I look at the NIB and can't figure out what wires to disconnect and wrap around a pencil for later use. Didn't want to short out the whole system in the process. So I'm looking for some wiring help.

Also, I read that I can just connect the kitchen phone directly into the wall jack bypassing the Scout altogether. Will try this later when I get home, but not very hopeful. If it does work, why would Ooma want to sell the Scout in the first place? Seems like all you would need is the hub and every phone in the house should be connect as if you still have landline service.
#62103 by mikesv
Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:23 am
If it does work, why would Ooma want to sell the Scout in the first place? Seems like all you would need is the hub and every phone in the house should be connect as if you still have landline service.

The scout allows you to have (with premier) a second line. With your Core service, you also can use the scout as a voice mail access point (ie answering machine). This can be helpful if the Hub is somewhere that you do not regularly go (some modems, routers, and thus Hubs are located in basements, closets, garages, etc). Those are two uses I know of.

As for the technical issue, I will leave that to the more experienced users in the forum (there are many).

Welcome to ooma and the forum!
#62104 by denny
Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:45 am
I don't think you need a Scout to do what you want. Connect the Phone port on your Hub to a phone jack and you can connect phone(s) to other phone jack(s) in the house as long as they are the same phone line. That's how I am using mine.

If you want to use the Scout, connect the Hub's Wall port (instead of the Phone port) to a phone jack. Then you can connect the Scout to another phone jack in your house and then connect another phone to the Scout. You only need to do this if you want a second number for the phone connected to the Scout. You'll also need Premium service with Ooma for the additional phone number.

Hope this helps to get you up and running, thanks!

Denny
#62105 by southsound
Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:52 am
Just a quick note: If you want reliable service, you need to keep the DSL signal on a separate pair that either the PHONE or WALL jack on the hub. Yes, I know that there will be some who say they have theirs connected that way and it works better than sliced bread. Note that I said reliable. In fact, since I still have my landline, I use a DSL Splitter to separate the DSL from all other phone signals. The OP doesn't need to do this. If the OP were to separate the DSL and hub to scout wiring pairs, he would find that the scout makes a nifty voicemail station.
#62354 by anthonytexas
Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 am
Thanks, guys. I've tested just connecting my other phones directly to the wall jacks around the house and nothing; no Ooma dial tone. Each of the wall jacks have the dsl filter on them. So now I am almost certain that I have to fiddle around the NIB to get this fixed. I remembered reading on this forum that someone (southbound, I think) had detailed instructions on how to do the NIB re-wiring so that I can still have my DSL but loose the ATT 'pulse' that is currently running through my house wiring. Please send that link if you know it. Thanks!

In the meantime, I have my Panasonic expandable phone connected to the HUB and have the expanded phone in the kitchen. Works well temporarily, but I really need all the jacks in my house Ooma-enabled.
#62432 by tommies
Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:31 pm
You have DSL service, so I assume the DSL signal is on Line 1, so any thing you want to do with the scout or the hub dial tone need to be on Line 2.
- AT&T DSL service
- Canceled landline in May <-- No land line.
- Bought Ooma Core + Scout system in August
- Set up hub in office works like a charm
- Office wall jack has dsl filter/splitter (1 for dsl go to modem, 1 for 'phone' go to Ooma Hub) <<-- This goes to the hub WALL port(land line integration) or PHONE port(dial tone distrubution)?***
- Set up Scout in kitchen failed (red lights at bottom).
- Kitchen wall jack has single filter for phone only (connected to Scout).

In the text highlighted in red above, I don't know what are your intention and how the phone cords are connected. I just make up some assumption that you don't have land line integration and you want to connect the scout in the kitchen as a answering machine, and possibly distribute the ooma dial tone too.

You need two LIne 1+Line 2 splitters, one on the wall jack where you installed the modem+hub, and one in the kitchen wall plate where the scout will be.

1. remove the DSL splitter/filter from the wall jack and plug it in the jack labeled Line1 of the Line1+Line2 splitter, which is plugged directly to the wall jack.
2. use a phone cord to connect the hub WALL port to the jack labeled Line 2 of the Line1+Line 2 splitter.
3. connect the scout WALL port to the jack labeled Line 2 of the Line1+Line2 splitter, which is on the wall jack.
4. you also can distribute the ooma dial tone too. but I keep it simple for now.

If
a. the hub turn red and the two buttons [Play] + [Next] are solid red: you have land line integration, you need to call ooma CS to resolve since you don't have a land line. Reverse every thing back to what you installed before to keep the hub working.

b. the hub tab is blue, but the scout is red, there is issue with your house wiring. You can test the scout by bring it next to the hub and connect both the WALL ports to see if the scout is working. Please post a picture of your NIB and the back of your wall plate for precise instructions of what need to be done to make thing work for you.

PS.
If you willing to open the wall plate and reconnect the wires, a two-jack wall plate is sure looked nicer on the wall than a splitter.
#62507 by anthonytexas
Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:13 am
Thanks, Tommies.

This is the Office dsl filter/splitter:
dsl splitter.jpg
dsl filter (kitchen)
dsl splitter.jpg (137.5 KiB) Viewed 2467 times

This is the Kitchen dsl filter:
dsl filter.jpg
dsl filter/splitter (office)
dsl filter.jpg (10.7 KiB) Viewed 2467 times

When I had landline service:
For the office, I have one cable from the splitter (labeled 'DSL') go to the DSL modem. Then I have another cable from the splitter (labeled 'phone') go to my phone.
For the kitchen, it's just one cable from the splitter to the kitchen phone.

When I no longer have landline service and switched to Ooma:
For the office, I have one cable from the splitter (labeled 'DSL') go to the DSL modem'. Then I have another cable from the to the splitter (labeled 'phone') go to the Ooma hub 'wall port'.
For the kitchen, it's just one cable from the splitter to the Scout.

Case B, where the HUB is blue and the Scout is Red is where I am at. I've tested the Hub/Scout wall-to-wall connection and verified that the Scout is indeed working. As I'm typing this, I do remember that the ooma box came with a dsl filter/splitter. Maybe I need to use that in the Office instead of the AT&T one and see if this solve the problem. If that doesn't work, I'll take a picture of the NIB and get your help from there. Thanks again.
#62509 by southsound
Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:45 am
anthonytexas wrote:When I no longer have landline service and switched to Ooma:
For the office, I have one cable from the splitter (labeled 'DSL') go to the DSL modem'. Then I have another cable from the to the splitter (labeled 'phone') go to the Ooma hub 'wall port'.
For the kitchen, it's just one cable from the splitter to the Scout.

Case B, where the HUB is blue and the Scout is Red is where I am at. I've tested the Hub/Scout wall-to-wall connection and verified that the Scout is indeed working. As I'm typing this, I do remember that the ooma box came with a dsl filter/splitter. Maybe I need to use that in the Office instead of the AT&T one and see if this solve the problem. If that doesn't work, I'll take a picture of the NIB and get your help from there. Thanks again.

Tommies and I would love to help you get your scout working - but you seem to have a great desire to ignore what we are both saying. Let me explain it once again. You CANNOT have DSL and hub/scout communication on the same PAIR of wires. The little DSL splitter and microfilter are only effective on the first pair of your home wiring. In fact, what the DSL splitter does is pass the DSL signal to the modem and strip off the higher frequencies to send the phone signal to the phones. The microfilter does the same thing with the phone signal. If you had phones and DSL on the same line without the microfilters it would either slow down or disable your DSL completely. In your present situation, you can put the DSL splitter and the microfilters in a drawer for safe keeping - or throw them away. You don't need them with the ooma and no landline. If you did use them between the hub and scout, they would filter out the HPNA signal that the hub and scout use to talk to each other. So you can just plug your DSL modem into the jack where the splitter was before - without the splitter.

The DSL signal MUST be on a separate pair of wires than the hub/scout WALL ports. Typical modern wiring has at least 3 pairs of wire in the telephone cable. The first pair, usually white/blue, is used for line 1. The second pair is usually connected as well. It is the white/orange pair. You can unscrew a wall plate and verify that. The hub/scout WALL ports must be on this second pair of wires. The splitters you have shown us - and the one that came with the ooma - are single-line splitters and will not get you there. Tommies was telling you about using a 2-line splitter that effectively brings out the white/orange line 2 pair on a separate jack so you don't have to do any rewiring. I prefer his second suggestion to use a double jack wall plate and rewire the white/orange pair to the second jack which will be used for the WALL jack on the hub. At other locations in the home, reverse the jack wiring. In other words, connect up the white/orange pair as line 1.

There are some neat variations on this, depending on your skill level and your needs. You can swap out the pairs at the NIB and then you will only need to add the double plate at the modem - no other rewiring. This means that you will send in the DSL signal on the white/orange pair and connect the modem to that pair with the double jack plate. After you have separated the lines and verified that all this works, you can also use the splitter that came with your ooma to combine the WALL and PHONE ports at the hub - that way you send ooma dialtone all over the house. Every jack will be available for either a phone or a scout.

Again, the key to making it all work is to separate the DSL and hub/scout on their own pairs of wires.
#62593 by anthonytexas
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:50 pm
Thanks, Tommies and southsound. Please be patient with me cause I can come across as a dunce sometimes. I'm trying to follow along.

My setup:
setup copy.jpg
setup copy.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 2443 times

So you can just plug your DSL modem into the jack where the splitter was before - without the splitter.
. When I tried that (green wire straight to the wall), nothing works. No DSL and no Ooma.

The other suggestion is to try a
2-line splitter
. Like this?

splitter.jpg
splitter.jpg (5.24 KiB) Viewed 2443 times

I will give that a shot.

Just in case we ultimately have to fool around with the NIB, here's the picture:
nib1.jpg
nib1.jpg (217.9 KiB) Viewed 2443 times