Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#61913 by serialportme
Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:02 pm
I have been searching and looking, but haven't found - so sorry for posting if its already been covered.

Just hooked up a hub - worked perfectly.

I have a fax machine, so I added another telephone number with distinctive ring, and again worked perfectly.

Just found out the second number worked because I am on premier trial, which now I guess i have to pay the monthly fee after trial expires - right? No free second number, even though I don't need another second real line, just a virtual number with distinctive ring.

If that is the case, I may as well take advantage of the second line and hook up my scout. I am not using my house wiring, so how do I hook up the scout directly to the hub?

If I do this, I can hook the telephone to the scout and assign it as that device and the fax to the hub. Correct?

THANKS. Any insight would be appreciated.
#61916 by murphy
Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:14 pm
Connect the wall port of the hub to the wall port of the scout.
#61928 by southsound
Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 pm
Many folks have had better success with faxing if their fax machine is connected to the hub and NOT the scout. You might want to call ooma's customer support and have them make your fax number the one that appears on the hub - then you can assign your voice number to the scout as a personal device.
#63204 by scg
Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am
southsound wrote:Many folks have had better success with faxing if their fax machine is connected to the hub and NOT the scout. You might want to call ooma's customer support and have them make your fax number the one that appears on the hub - then you can assign your voice number to the scout as a personal device.

Do we really need to call customer support for this type of change? Can it be done using my.ooma?
#63220 by ntoy
Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 am
Hello scg,

When you register/activate your Ooma account, the number chosen is the main number on your account & assigned to the hub. Currently, your account shows 2 numbers & both are shared.

A scout device would need to be added with the serial number in My Ooma > Preferences>Phone numbers> click on the Add a personal device link & fill in the info and associate the 2nd number.

Then, you will need to contact support to swap the 2 numbers. There is no control option for the customer.
#63307 by scg
Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:33 am
ntoy wrote:Hello scg,

When you register/activate your Ooma account, the number chosen is the main number on your account & assigned to the hub. Currently, your account shows 2 numbers & both are shared.

A scout device would need to be added with the serial number in My Ooma > Preferences>Phone numbers> click on the Add a personal device link & fill in the info and associate the 2nd number.

Then, you will need to contact support to swap the 2 numbers. There is no control option for the customer.

Thanks, I have the personal device set up now and I think it is working although I have not found where to go to look at the call logs. I am waiting for my number port to go through. Can you tell me whether it is the shared or personal number that will be replaced when this happens? That will decide whether I need to call CS to swap.
#63309 by murphy
Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:39 am
To look at the call logs for the personal device log into my.ooma using the phone number of the personal device. You specified the password when you created the personal device.
#63310 by ntoy
Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:43 am
In your case:

- xxx-xxx-xxxx - temp number assigned to hub(shared)
-yyy-yyy-yyyy - temp number assigned to scout(private)

-zzz-zzz-zzzz - Number to be ported

The assumption is the zzz-zzz-zzzz will replace xxx-xxx-xxxx when porting completes unless you contact
our support folks & have them locate the ticket to include instructions.

FYI: to reiterate: fax machines can only work on hubs & not scouts.