Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#61833 by newooma
Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:36 am
Just got my Ooma Hub and initial installation was quite easy. my set up is: modem and route (in Master bedroom closet) ---> HUB is in kitchen connected to one ethernet jack on the wall ---> a regular phone line splitter connects to the PHONE jack on the back of HUB so that I can 1) connect a phone to HUB; 2) plan to distribute dial tone throughout the house once I dropped landline service and disconnect wire in the NIB box outside the house.

Currently I have DSL and landline from ATT on the same line. I plan to drop landline to have dry loop DSL. I tested the dialtone distribution by disconnecting the modular plug in the NIB box outside the house today, and realized that this also disrupted the DSL as both DSL and landline are on the same line. So I did some research and found the following thread is most relevant, but also very difficult for me to understand: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1204&hilit=disconnect+wire+in+phone+box+with+DSL&start=10

If I understand correctly, after I drop landline and only have dry loop DSL, I need to move DSL from line 1 to line2 to reserve line 1 for distributing Ooma dialtone throughout the house. Am I correct on that? Then How do I move dry loop DSL from line 1 to line 2? I can see that in my NIB box, I have 2 modular plugs, the top one is used currently with DSL and landline, is this line 1? So I need to move all wires from this modular plug to the one below (i.e. line 2?)? Do I still need to do something inside my house to complete this move? I have a wall box in my master bedroom closet that have all the wirings. Do I still need to change some wiring over there? My guess is that there are also line 1 and line 2 in this wall box as well?

Assume I successfully move dry loop DSL from line 1 to line2, then I just disconnect the top modular plug (i.e. line 1) in the NIB box outside the house to separate my house phone line system from telco network so that I can now connect the PHONE jack on the back of Ooma HUB to any wall phone jack, am I right on this?

Too many questions, Thanks a lot for any help.
#61838 by southsound
Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:54 am
First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum. I'll answer your questions in red below.
newooma wrote:Just got my Ooma Hub and initial installation was quite easy. my set up is: modem and route (in Master bedroom closet) ---> HUB is in kitchen connected to one ethernet jack on the wall ---> a regular phone line splitter connects to the PHONE jack on the back of HUB so that I can 1) connect a phone to HUB; 2) plan to distribute dial tone throughout the house once I dropped landline service and disconnect wire in the NIB box outside the house.
Hopefully, nothing is connected to that extra port on the splitter at this time.

Currently I have DSL and landline from ATT on the same line. I plan to drop landline to have dry loop DSL. I tested the dialtone distribution by disconnecting the modular plug in the NIB box outside the house today, and realized that this also disrupted the DSL as both DSL and landline are on the same line. So I did some research and found the following thread is most relevant, but also very difficult for me to understand: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1204&hilit=disconnect+wire+in+phone+box+with+DSL&start=10

If I understand correctly, after I drop landline and only have dry loop DSL, I need to move DSL from line 1 to line2 to reserve line 1 for distributing Ooma dialtone throughout the house. Am I correct on that? Then How do I move dry loop DSL from line 1 to line 2? I can see that in my NIB box, I have 2 modular plugs, the top one is used currently with DSL and landline, is this line 1? So I need to move all wires from this modular plug to the one below (i.e. line 2?)?
Yes, the top jack/cord is for Line 1. The little cords go to your home wiring and the jacks are the telephone company side of things. If the cords are long enough, you should just be able to unplug the cord from the first jack and REPLACE it with the cord that now goes to the second jack. This avoids the need to do any rewiring at the NIB.

Do I still need to do something inside my house to complete this move? I have a wall box in my master bedroom closet that have all the wirings. Do I still need to change some wiring over there? My guess is that there are also line 1 and line 2 in this wall box as well?
Yes - but here you have a choice. You can either get a 2-line splitter (these say L1, L2, and possibly L1+L2 on them) or you can get a two jack plate from Home Depot or Lowes. If you get the two jack plate you will connect up the white/blue pair to the jack for the ooma PHONE wire and the white/orange pair to the jack for the DSL modem.

Assume I successfully move dry loop DSL from line 1 to line2, then I just disconnect the top modular plug (i.e. line 1) in the NIB box outside the house to separate my house phone line system from telco network so that I can now connect the PHONE jack on the back of Ooma HUB to any wall phone jack, am I right on this?
Answered above.

Feel free to reply with questions.
#61851 by newooma
Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:38 pm
southsound wrote:First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum. I'll answer your questions in red below.

Thank you very much!

newooma wrote:Just got my Ooma Hub and initial installation was quite easy. my set up is: modem and route (in Master bedroom closet) ---> HUB is in kitchen connected to one ethernet jack on the wall ---> a regular phone line splitter connects to the PHONE jack on the back of HUB so that I can 1) connect a phone to HUB; 2) plan to distribute dial tone throughout the house once I dropped landline service and disconnect wire in the NIB box outside the house.
Hopefully, nothing is connected to that extra port on the splitter at this time.

Not yet, but I plan to do so to distribute the dialtone once I canceled my landline phone service from ATT. Is this OK then?

Just realized the splitter that came with Ooma Hub is called Ooma splitter, can it be used as regular duplex to distribution ooma dialtone thoughout the house?

If I understand correctly, after I drop landline and only have dry loop DSL, I need to move DSL from line 1 to line2 to reserve line 1 for distributing Ooma dialtone throughout the house. Am I correct on that? Then How do I move dry loop DSL from line 1 to line 2? I can see that in my NIB box, I have 2 modular plugs, the top one is used currently with DSL and landline, is this line 1? So I need to move all wires from this modular plug to the one below (i.e. line 2?)?
Yes, the top jack/cord is for Line 1. The little cords go to your home wiring and the jacks are the telephone company side of things. If the cords are long enough, you should just be able to unplug the cord from the first jack and REPLACE it with the cord that now goes to the second jack. This avoids the need to do any rewiring at the NIB.

Here is pictures of what's inside my NIB box:
DSC_6742_126.JPG
DSC_6742_126.JPG (79.13 KiB) Viewed 2772 times

Do you mean I should swap the 2 gray horizontal cords in the top above: the top gray cord goes into the bottom modular jack and the bottom gray cord goes into the top modular jack? By doing this, essentially, I am transferring DSL and landline phone into the line 2 instead of the line 1 as they are right now. Am I correct on that? And if I do this, I will lose DSL and landline phone dial tone in all wall ethernet/phone jacks throughout the house because those jacks are currently configured to use line 1, am I correct? So if I want to get back the DSL/landline dialtone in those jacks, I need to go to my Master bedroom closet to change the wiring there to line 2 inside the wall box, am I correct?

DSC_6744_133-2.jpg
DSC_6744_133-2.jpg (160.62 KiB) Viewed 2772 times

In the second picture, both the thick green cord and the blue cord have 2 thin cords within, one blue color, one blue/white color. I am guessing that the thick green cord is for phone, the thick blueone cord is for DSL. Am I correct? The 2 blue thin cords from thick green and thick blue cords are combined and attached to the red screw; while the 2 blue/white thin cords are combined and attached to the green screw. So can I separate the DSL and landline by attach the 2 thin cords (blue and blue/white) from thick blue cord (DSL I guess) to the bottom set of modular plug and screws so that DSL goes to line 2 while landline phone is still with line1? The reason with this configuration is so I can test the distribution of Ooma dialtone throughout the house by simply unplugging the top modular plug before I cancel the landline service.

Do I still need to do something inside my house to complete this move? I have a wall box in my master bedroom closet that have all the wirings. Do I still need to change some wiring over there? My guess is that there are also line 1 and line 2 in this wall box as well?
Yes - but here you have a choice. You can either get a 2-line splitter (these say L1, L2, and possibly L1+L2 on them) or you can get a two jack plate from Home Depot or Lowes. If you get the two jack plate you will connect up the white/blue pair to the jack for the ooma PHONE wire and the white/orange pair to the jack for the DSL modem.

Here is a picture of the wall box inside my Master bedroom closet:
DSC_6746_129-2.jpg
DSC_6746_129-2.jpg (226.23 KiB) Viewed 2772 times

Looks like those blue cords on the right are for DSL going to each rooms in the house, those white cords on the left are for satellite TVs. The green panel in the middle with green cords plugged on the right side and white cords plugged on the left side seems to be for the phone jacks throughout the house.

Do you mean that inside the wall box, there are NO 2 separate lines that comes into the house for line 1 and line 2, respectively. There is only 1 line that comes into the house for both line 1 and 2, and I need to buy the 2-line splitter or 2-jack plate to separate them out. Am I correct? In the above picture, where is that single line that comes into the house with both DSL and phone? how can I connect a 2-line splitter? I am still lost here.

I googled 2-line splitter, it seems that it's to be used directly on wall jacks. But in my house, I have different wall jacks for regular phone and DSL internet (sizes are different), does that mean there are 2 different types of 2-line splitters as well? If I move dry loop DSL to line 2 (not sure of how yet), I need a 2-line splitter that fits into the wall DSL jack (not wall phone jack) and connect Ooma HUB MODEM jack on the back to the L2 jack of the 2-line spliter? I need to do the same for all computers in my house that connect to wall DSL jack using a 2-line splitter as DSL is on line 2 now. Similarly, I also need a different-size 2-line splitter that fits into the wall phone jack and the L1 jack of the splitter connects to the Ooma HUB PHONE jack on the back in order to distribute the ooma dialtone. Is this the configuration you suggest? There are too many splitters involved, so I would prefer changing the wiring inside the wall box in my closet.

Feel free to reply with questions.

Thank you again!
#61872 by tommies
Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:29 pm
Do you mean I should swap the 2 gray horizontal cords in the top above: the top gray cord goes into the bottom modular jack and the bottom gray cord goes into the top modular jack? By doing this, essentially, I am transferring DSL and landline phone into the line 2 instead of the line 1 as they are right now. Am I correct on that?

No, the modules on your NIB have nothing to do with Line 1 or Line 2. Matter of fact, you can just wire either one as line 1 (or line 2.)

If you look into a wall jack, you are likely to see 4 strand of copper wires. Line 1 refers to the two inner wires, and line 2 refers to the two outer wires. (newer wall jack might have 6 strands, thus supports 3 lines.)

By convention, the blue/white+white/blue twisted pair is used on line1 (i.e. connect to the 2 inner wires of the jack), and the orange/white+white/orange twisted pair is used for line 2.

So if you want to move the land line + DSL to line 2, you need to do it at the NIB. Substitute the orange/white wires for blue/white wires, and likewise the white/orange wires for white/blue wires in the top module.

Note that I use plural (wires) because from your NIB's picture, there are two sets/bunches of wires.

Moreover, the two blue/white wires, which are just remove from the (top module) post, need to connected together. You can use the post of the unused bottom module, or by a phone line splice. Same for the two white/blue wires. This step is needed, otherwise some of the jacks might not work.

I recommend using phone line splices. I bought a pack of 10 2-way, 10 3-way, and 5 T(tab in) for around $5-$6 at Lowe's. If you choose to use the unused posts, make sure that you unplug the little jack to the left of the bottom module.

The colors of the big cable cover is not relevant.
And if I do this, I will lose DSL and landline phone dial tone in all wall ethernet/phone jacks throughout the house because those jacks are currently configured to use line 1, am I correct? So if I want to get back the DSL/landline dialtone in those jacks, I need to go to my Master bedroom closet to change the wiring there to line 2 inside the wall box, am I correct?

After you move the land line + DSL to line 2, you need a Line 1 + Line 2 splitter to access it. A two jacks wall plate is sure make it look better, but some simple wiring is required.