Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#61798 by trulyblest
Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:42 am
I have been looking thru the forums and am having trouble finding what I need:

1. I am currently using Cincinnati Bell DSL and would like to be able to do away with home phone all together. I am setting it up to test the service for a couple weeks before I decide to cancel phone service. I picked a new phone number and was wondering if down the road I want to port (as long as I haven't cancelled cinci bell yet) will I be able to do that?

2. I feel like a deer in the headlights trying to figure if I want to connect dsl and phone on seperate lines or on the same line? I don't understand the difference?

3. I plugged the OOma hub into an extra port on my wireless modem (as though it is an extra computer) so does that make a difference in what I choose above? Is that ^ considered "behind the router"?

4. My plan is to run one cordless phone thru the ooma system w/the phone number ooma gave me and to run my other lines thru my normal phone number for awhile if I could just figure out how to do the dsl < that looks like a phone line, like which place to plug it into? ( See question #2)

Thanks in advance and sorry if they seem so simple, my head is swimming :shock:
#61803 by southsound
Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:03 pm
Welcome to the forum and to ooma! And might I say I like your forum name - My wife and I, as well as quite a few on this forum are also truly blessed.

I'll put my answers in red below your questions.

trulyblest wrote:I have been looking thru the forums and am having trouble finding what I need:

1. I am currently using Cincinnati Bell DSL and would like to be able to do away with home phone all together. I am setting it up to test the service for a couple weeks before I decide to cancel phone service. I picked a new phone number and was wondering if down the road I want to port (as long as I haven't cancelled cinci bell yet) will I be able to do that?
Sure. Porting can be initiated at any time. Also, if you like the service well enough to want to purchase Premier (you are in trial mode now) you can get the port for free if you pay the annual fee.

2. I feel like a deer in the headlights trying to figure if I want to connect dsl and phone on seperate lines or on the same line? I don't understand the difference?
Take it from an old ATT/Pacific Telesis employee - seprate is a good thing. We can walk you through it when the time comes. Right now your plan in 4 is great and will require NO rewiring.

3. I plugged the OOma hub into an extra port on my wireless modem (as though it is an extra computer) so does that make a difference in what I choose above? Is that ^ considered "behind the router"?
Yep. That should work fine. Most people with DSL actually have a combined DSL modem/router. I know mine works fine that way. Unless you are doing a lot of bit torrent file swapping (and I am going to guess that you don't) you should not have a problem.

4. My plan is to run one cordless phone thru the ooma system w/the phone number ooma gave me and to run my other lines thru my normal phone number for awhile if I could just figure out how to do the dsl < that looks like a phone line, like which place to plug it into? ( See question #2)
When the time comes, we can walk you through how to get a clean pair. Depending on your skill and confidence level, as well as your tolerance for learning something new, we can either have you use some simple plug-in splitters or you can do it neatly with a double wall plate at the place where the DSL modem is connected. Again, not to worry until you are happy with your new ooma.

Thanks in advance and sorry if they seem so simple, my head is swimming :shock:
Only need to worry if you head is sinking. Swimming and even treading water is OK for heads. :P
#61852 by trulyblest
Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:41 pm
Thanks so much for the compliment on my user name (terminal cancer survivor). However I should have been more specific as I am still confused about one thing.

I have a splitter on my phone jack with a line that currently goes to phone line the other to the back of my router (dsl) w/wireless capabilities.

What I can't figure out is where to plug the telephone thingy that is currently in the back of my router? Or do I just leave it there?

Or do I run it into the ooma box ? And if I do that, then my modem won't have any dsl? Please be more specific as to where I should run the telephone dsl line, I am so confused looking at the book and all the configurations.

Can I use the filter (aka the splitter that is in their now provided by the phone company which includes the filter) instead of the ooma filter/splitter?

To test the ooma system, what I want to do is hook up one phone line to my current cincinnati bell phone line. Then I got a new phone number from Ooma and that's the one I want to hook up to my modem and current phone system that includes 2 phones that only use one jack. Hope this makes sense and not a rambling message!

Thank you soooo much for your time and assistance! What a great service, I can't wait to get it working :D

P.S. So far all I have is an ethernet cable running from an extra port (like an extra computer) and it is plugged into the port on the ooma box called "modem", but I don't think I got that right either? Help!
#61867 by southsound
Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:20 pm
trulyblest wrote:Thanks so much for the compliment on my user name (terminal cancer survivor). Congratulations! However I should have been more specific as I am still confused about one thing.

I have a splitter on my phone jack with a line that currently goes to phone line the other to the back of my router (dsl) w/wireless capabilities.
That "splitter" is probably a DSL filter or splitter. It most likely has marking for DSL and PHONE. I would leave things as they are with nothing plugged into the PHONE port.

What I can't figure out is where to plug the telephone thingy that is currently in the back of my router? Or do I just leave it there?
If the "thingy" is the same as you described above, you already have my answer.

Or do I run it into the ooma box ? And if I do that, then my modem won't have any dsl? Please be more specific as to where I should run the telephone dsl line, I am so confused looking at the book and all the configurations.
Nope. Refer to my original answers above in my first reply.

Can I use the filter (aka the splitter that is in their now provided by the phone company which includes the filter) instead of the ooma filter/splitter?
Yes - but again, you don't need to change anything yet.

To test the ooma system, what I want to do is hook up one phone line to my current cincinnati bell phone line. Then I got a new phone number from Ooma and that's the one I want to hook up to my modem and current phone system that includes 2 phones that only use one jack. Hope this makes sense and not a rambling message!
Not sure what you mean here - for now just keep the phones attached to your ooma PHONE port separate. You can do some rewiring later after you are happy with the service.

Thank you soooo much for your time and assistance! What a great service, I can't wait to get it working :D

P.S. So far all I have is an ethernet cable running from an extra port (like an extra computer) and it is plugged into the port on the ooma box called "modem", but I don't think I got that right either? Help!
Actually, that should just work fine.
#61870 by trulyblest
Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:08 pm
Wow, was I over-thinking this thing! All I had left was to do was plug the phone in! Haha I feel like a dummy now ;)

It was soooo simple and I was trying to complicate it.

Thanks so much again for your time to respond to me. Peace, love and joy to all!
#61871 by ajw522
Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:47 pm
trulyblest wrote:Wow, was I over-thinking this thing! All I had left was to do was plug the phone in! Haha I feel like a dummy now ;)

It was soooo simple and I was trying to complicate it.

Thanks so much again for your time to respond to me. Peace, love and joy to all!

Southsound already did this, but welcome to the Ooma Forums! :)