Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#61773 by mikesv
Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:18 am
Are there any reasons I could not (or should not) forward my "old number" (to be ported 8/26 according to ooma) to my temporary ooma number and then feed ooma to my whole house?

I am moving from Time Warner Cable VOIP to ooma. I cannot (and/or don't care to) make them both work over my home's phone line (can I even do this?)

The only issue I can see is that my outgoing calls will display my temp ooma phone number, and possible confuse some of my friends.

Once the port is complete, my Time Warner phone will be dead (and any call forwarding or other * codes I had set up on the timw warner line die with it, I hope), and my calls should then go through to my ooma just fine, and my ID will change to my ported number, correct?

PS: I am still ticked that my number port is supposed to take 3 weeks. I am thinking about doing this so I can actually use my ooma service (scout included).
#61782 by ITShinobi
Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:49 am
I was told this was a possible reason that my port wouldn't go through, and I thought I'd save you the headaches that I've had by pointing that out. It's been quite a struggle getting my number ported from Time Warner, so I couldn't tell you whether that is the actual reason or not. Take it from me, you don't want to give Ooma any reason at all to delay a phone number port because it will be used as an excuse. I hope you have better luck than I seem to be having. Going on 2+ months for me to get my number ported and there's still no end in sight, nor has status changed in the last month despite too many calls to remember and several hours on the phone with both Ooma and Time Warner to straighten out the finger pointing - which really shouldn't be my job as a customer to do. Ooma needs to get their act together and fix their backend / telco customer service black hole. When the FCC-mandated one-day port rule goes into effect, they are going to be in trouble. Not a happy customer here.
Last edited by ITShinobi on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#61784 by southsound
Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:03 am
mikesv wrote:Are there any reasons I could not (or should not) forward my "old number" (to be ported 8/26 according to ooma) to my temporary ooma number and then feed ooma to my whole house?

Most of the "old timers" on the forum recommend this as a way to avoid the dreaded "landline integration" and still have folks access you on your familiar number. I've never had Time Warner cable so I can't speak from experience, but since Call Forwarding is a standard feature it should have no bearing on your porting. It would be on the level of "Don't pick up the phone if it rings or you may delay your porting." Maybe some folks with a recent successful port from TW can speak of their experience.

Welcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:
#61789 by mikesv
Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:11 am
ITShinobi wrote:I was told this was a possible reason that my port wouldn't go through, and I thought I'd save you the headaches that I've had by pointing that out. It's been quite a struggle getting my number ported from TimeWarner, so I couldn't tell you whether that is the actual reason or not. Take it from me, you don't want to give Ooma any reason at all to delay a phone number port because it will be used as an excuse. I hope you have better luck than I seem to be having. Going on 2+ months for me to get my number ported and there's still no end in sight, nor has status changed in the last month despite too many calls to remember and several hours on the phone with both Ooma and Time Warner to straighten out the finger pointing - which really shouldn't be my job as a customer to do. Ooma needs to get their act together and fix their backend / telco customer service black hole. When the FCC-mandated one-day port rule goes into effect, they are going to be in trouble. Not a happy customer here.

Did you have an estimated port completion date (that came and went)? Given that the FCC page says the porting period "was" 4 days prior to the 1 day change (starting this month or 6 mos later for small carriers), 3-4 weeks still seems excessive. Multiple months? Not cool.

I am anxious to not have to pay my bill to TW, which cannot happen until my number has ported.

I appreciate the welcome and am truly excited to go all ooma all the time.
#61799 by ITShinobi
Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:44 am
I've actually had two estimated dates from Ooma that have come and gone. The status on the porting web site seems to be stuck as well and I've reported that problem for at least the past month, but someone always happily tells me that it will be fixed and they are working on it. I've spoken to supervisors on at least three separate occasions to no avail. The stock answer is that I need to wait another 7 to 10 days regardless of what the current issue is. Oh, and getting someone on the line at the actual telecom handling the number port, well, you may as well forget about that one. They only seem to be able to communicate directly to Ooma, and only via email. I had a tech from Time Warner standing by to assist via conference call on my first port date but that proved absolutely futile, not because TW wasn't helpful, but because there wasn't anyone that Ooma could put him through to.

Time Warner originally disconnected my service on the date of the port after completing their part of the process. They immediately reconnected my number once we figured out that's what happened on the first estimated port date. I gave the reconnection confirmation number to Ooma when that happened on 7/6 and at least twice after that, and God knows where it went because it sure didn't get recorded anywhere. I gave it to a supervisor again on 8/6 when he told me they didn't have it. Again, I was told I had another 7 to 10 day wait until they could update me on any kind of status. On 7/29, the told me that by having call forwarding on my TW line to my Ooma line they couldn't complete the port. I see differently all over this forum though.

I'm extremely disappointed in the service I've received from Ooma during this whole experience. I'll also add that after every single time when I asked the rep on the phone what the next step was, they said they'd contact me either via voice or email, and NOT ONCE have I received either. The device and the service itself seems pretty good. If it's this difficult to port a number in, I have to wonder how hard it's going to be to get it out.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but thought I'd give you a head's up on what you could potentially be dealing with.
#61800 by roadshow
Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:15 pm
I just activated my OOMA. I am porting my number from Time Warner too. my estimated port date is 8/23/10. I will not be happy if I run in to the same problems. I'm a squeaky wheel!
#61832 by ajw522
Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:03 am
Contact ntoy, Dennis P, or Bobby B. They are Ooma Employees and they will do whatever they can to help you out. They always go the extra mile for their customers, and I'm sure they are sorry that you've had such a bad experience.

I ported my number as well, however, from Cox Communications, but the port was completed on time and I had no problem. This 2+ months situation is something you should NOT have to be dealing with.