Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#61623 by pokeweed
Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:18 am
Hello - Just installed my ooma hub and everything is working great, except I'm having network problems.

The ooma is connected to an integrated DSL modem / router. The computers on the wired ethernet network can see eachother. However, the wireless computers logging in through the dsl modem/router can not see the wired ethernet network. So, I can't access my NAS, fileshares, etc.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!
#61624 by WayneDsr
Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:28 am
Not sure if I understand correctly, but are you plugging the ooma Hub into the modem/router as you would a pc?
And are the wired pc's connected directly into the modem/router?
If you are the hub should not be interfering with the wireless/wired pc's.

If you are plugging the pc's into the ooma's home port that could be the issue. Leave the HOME port empty and plug the wired pc's into the modem/router.

Wayne
#61631 by southsound
Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:20 am
pokeweed wrote:Hello - Just installed my ooma hub and everything is working great, except I'm having network problems.

The ooma is connected to an integrated DSL modem / router. The computers on the wired ethernet network can see eachother. However, the wireless computers logging in through the dsl modem/router can not see the wired ethernet network. So, I can't access my NAS, fileshares, etc.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

If your integrated DSL modem / router has multiple ports, just connect it as you would a PC and do not connect anything to the Home Network port on the ooma. If you do not have multiple ports on your integrated unit, then you can purchase an innexpensive switch to add ports. (A word of advice - do not buy too small of a switch. I routinely recommend people get bigger than they think they need because they keep adding devices and need to purchase a bigger one.)

Only two "potential" downsides:

- If you run a lot of network intensive stuff - bit torrent programs or do gaming, your call quality can suffer during these events because the ooma will not be doing any QoS (Quality of Service) management. Most integrated modem / routers do not have good QoS management. I have Qwest 1.5mb down / 768kbps up and this configuration works well for me.

- If you want to access setup.ooma.com you will have to move a computer to the Home Network port (or do some port forwarding) to reach the internal server that provides these pages.

Welcome to ooma and the forums! You're going to like it here! :cool:

<<oops - I think I just said the same thing as WayneDSR. Oh well, great minds think alike. I'll leave the post because of the downsides. Can I have a walnut brownie? :P
#66526 by southsound
Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:51 pm
tonyf666 wrote:Hi Southsound,
How do I access the internal web pages of my ooma. I see you referenced setup.ooma.com above. I tried http://setup.ooma.com but no go. My pc is connected to the home port on the ooma hub.

Tony

Considering your login name, I believe I'll let someone else answer your question. There are many very bright people on the forum who can help.

(Not asking for an explanation, I just wanted you to know why I chose not to help you. As a recovery pastor, I think our belief systems may be at odds.)
#67315 by ramarrie
Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:17 pm
I would like to mention my experience on the subject. I connected my Ooma Telos using the Option 2A shown in the Quick Start Guide. The Phone worked very well immediately. The Internet was not available either to my computer using an ethernet connection (hard wired) or to any of my wireless connections (laptops, iPad, etc). My configuration to the Internet is an ATT DSL Modem connected thru a SMCWGBR14-N Barricade N Pro Max Draft 11n Wireless Gigabit Broadband Router, excellent machine I might add. By checking the Status of the connection, I saw my connection type was PPPoE, and that was the problem.
That is only good when connected DIRECTLY to the DSL modem in my case. When you connect your router to the Home Network port in the Ooma Telos, your connection type should be "DHCP Client". The IP address, the Default Gateway, and the Primary DNS Server becomes subjects of the Ooma Telos (172.27.35.87, 172.27.35.1,172.27.35.1, respectively. In my case the router did this on its own ONLY after I push the Reset button in the back of the Router (You know the drill, 15 seconds push, disconnect power, without letting go of the button, reconnect power, wait another 15 seconds and let go), after that the Router found the Internet automatically, all I had to do was set my Wireless SSID, WPA, etc. You DO NOT enter your user name or password in the Router when the connection type is DHCP, this's handled by the DSL Modem, which it has its own set of information to establish the connection.
Now my phone works like a charm and all my computers have no problems with accessing the Web.I hope this notes are of some help for those having difficulties with this subject.

R. Arriaza
#67460 by lbmofo
Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:36 am
southsound wrote:
tonyf666 wrote:Hi Southsound,
How do I access the internal web pages of my ooma. I see you referenced setup.ooma.com above. I tried http://setup.ooma.com but no go. My pc is connected to the home port on the ooma hub.

Tony

Considering your login name, I believe I'll let someone else answer your question. There are many very bright people on the forum who can help.

(Not asking for an explanation, I just wanted you to know why I chose not to help you. As a recovery pastor, I think our belief systems may be at odds.)

That or Tony is Chinese :)
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4970079_chine ... mbers.html
#67501 by southsound
Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:20 pm
southsound wrote:(Not asking for an explanation, I just wanted you to know why I chose not to help you. As a recovery pastor, I think our belief systems may be at odds.)

lbmofo wrote:That or Tony is Chinese :)
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4970079_chine ... mbers.html

Point well taken. Different cultures could definitely add another perspective. When I worked for Apple, Steve Jobs presented a new Mac to the Queen of England, making a special point that it had dual floppies. The Queen was not impressed. Seems that English crude vernacular for "breast" was floppy. Thank you for adding the possibility of another less offensive meaning.