Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#61430 by renatae
Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:13 pm
Just got our Ooma Telo today and really enjoying it so far!

Because we want to port our number, we also hooked Ooma into a phone jack as instructed. Didn't quite expect that our old number doesn't ring the Ooma connected phones. We hooked a Panasonic base to the Telo and it has 2 satellites. We also have an Ooma Telo handset we put in a remote location. Additionally, there is a wall phone hooked to the landline, which of course I didn't expect to work since it has no connection with the Ooma.

Right now, dialing our temporary number and our optional second number (what a cool feature!!) makes the Telo- connected sets ring and the wall phone does not. Dialing the number we are porting makes only the wall phone ring. Should this be this way?

Also, I was wondering, once the number is ported and we disconnect the Telo from the jack, can we just leave the wall phone hooked up? I know it will be useless, but I don't have anything else to cover the space. I saw some references to needing to disconnect the Telco lines where they enter the house if you want to use your land lines to distribute signals, but would it be necessary for us since we are not intending to use the land line and will cancel service?

Thanks!
#61444 by joally
Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:22 pm
If Ooma is not connected to your wall jack, and you have disconnected your landline service from your old company, you can leave your phone plugged in and you will have real 911 service through that phone--especially useful in a power outage (if you have a corded phone).
#61446 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:32 pm
joally wrote:If Ooma is not connected to your wall jack, and you have disconnected your landline service from your old company, you can leave your phone plugged in and you will have real 911 service through that phone--especially useful in a power outage (if you have a corded phone).

I think this is dependent on which state.
#61447 by renatae
Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:41 pm
I'm in IL, and this does sound familiar to me.

I suppose the phones connected to the Ooma only ring when my Ooma number is dialed and vice versa is because even though the Ooma's hooked to a wall jack, it's like two different lines, correct?
#61448 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:42 pm
renatae wrote:Just got our Ooma Telo today and really enjoying it so far!

Welcome.

renatae wrote:Because we want to port our number, we also hooked Ooma into a phone jack as instructed. Didn't quite expect that our old number doesn't ring the Ooma connected phones. We hooked a Panasonic base to the Telo and it has 2 satellites. We also have an Ooma Telo handset we put in a remote location. Additionally, there is a wall phone hooked to the landline, which of course I didn't expect to work since it has no connection with the Ooma.

Right now, dialing our temporary number and our optional second number (what a cool feature!!) makes the Telo- connected sets ring and the wall phone does not. Dialing the number we are porting makes only the wall phone ring. Should this be this way?

Since you got a temp number, don't think you are in "landline integration" mode which requires your Telo connected to your landline. Landline integration mode is not recommended by a lot of people anyway so you are good the way your configuration is. You can go ahead and disconnect the Telo from the wall jack.

renatae wrote:Also, I was wondering, once the number is ported and we disconnect the Telo from the jack, can we just leave the wall phone hooked up? I know it will be useless, but I don't have anything else to cover the space. I saw some references to needing to disconnect the Telco lines where they enter the house if you want to use your land lines to distribute signals, but would it be necessary for us since we are not intending to use the land line and will cancel service?

That part you saw is about disconnecting your house wiring from the Telephone company (isolate your home wiring) so that you can distribute the Telo dialtone (from the "phone" port) throughout your house so you can plug a phone into any wall jack in the house.
#62018 by renatae
Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:10 am
lbmofo wrote:
joally wrote:If Ooma is not connected to your wall jack, and you have disconnected your landline service from your old company, you can leave your phone plugged in and you will have real 911 service through that phone--especially useful in a power outage (if you have a corded phone).

I think this is dependent on which state.

This turned out not to be true for me - the line is completely dead since porting was completed.