Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#3998 by cuti1999
Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:25 pm
Just got ooma & premier service. Hub installation worked like a charm. Have not installed Scout yet. Now I need to hook ooma to my alarm system. I searched previous posts on this subject, but the info was too technical for me, thus I need more detailed and basic instructions.

I have Verizon Fios (fiber optic) internet. My alarm panel/box is in the master bedroom closet, which is downstairs. My integrated modem/router is in a closet upstairs. Currently, I have the following set up:

Modem/router --> Linksys 4-port Hub --> ooma hub -->computers

I connect the phone base of a multi-handsets phone system to the ooma hub & a wall phone jack, and use the extension handsets throughout the house. The Scout & remaining phone jacks in the house are not being used.

My alarm system is being connected to a Verizon landline. I plan to ditch landline if the alarm system works with ooma. In the alarm panel, the phone jack size is RJ113 (not the typical small phone jack RJ111). Please tell me how to hook up my alarm system to the ooma hub/scout, in basic & simple language please. I am not technical at all.

Thanks much!
Jackie
#4001 by trim81
Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:08 pm
I am very interested in your outcome as I have a family member with ADT alarm as well...

Please update if you get this working.

Side note: you can visit this link for lots more info regarding VOIP and alarm: http://www.vonage-forum.com/forum9.html

2nd side note: It MAY be a better option if you switch over to an internet based Alarm monitoring via nextalarm.com or contact your alarm system for cellular monitoring (adiitonal $6 I believe)

Please keep this thread updated with your outcome.

Thanks
#4052 by av8rdude
Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:26 am
This is not a simple thing to explain on a forum at a basic level...

But in a nutshell you need to be able to understand exactly where the dial tone comes into your alarm system. Then connect the ooma hub dial tone "phone" outlet to this connection.

If you can't figure it out...then your current alarm company should send out a tech to fix it for you. All he will need to know is that the dial tone is provided by the ooma hub "phone" jack. You can split the ooma phone outlet to provide dial tone to the alarm and your house phones.

Good luck,
Scott