Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#61326 by angrysquirrel
Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:32 pm
Hello folks,

Got a question for you folks. I have one ooma core and scout. I'm thinking of getting another core and scout to phase my dad's phone system to ooma from comcast digital voice.

Right now, he's connected to the internet wirelessly with a dongle. I have a linksys router that he's connected to with his dongle. He's too far away to be hardwired via an ethernet cable to his part of the house.

With another ooma deviece, he'll need some way to hook up to the internet. How can I do this? What am I looking for in terms of hardware? I think I need something that could receive the wireless signal from the router and have an ethernet connector that I can plug into the ooma hub. Is there something like that? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm still learning this stuff.
#61351 by angrysquirrel
Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:38 pm
Thanks murphy!!

is it also called a wireless access point? Here's a link I have from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833704048

something like that?

Is it possible to do that I want do do here? Any problems running the ooma wirelessly? I know, not a word. But am I venturing into strange territory doing this? I see the hub and scout for $170 so I think I might want to take a chance.
#61352 by murphy
Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:49 pm
No. A wireless access point and a wireless bridge are two different things.
However the feature list for the device in your link says that it can be configured as an access point or as a bridge so it should solve your problem.

If you can get good signal strength between your router (which has a built in wireless access point) and the bridge I would expect it to work. It depends on what is between the two devices. Wood framed walls are okay. Walls with steel studs might be a problem.
#61353 by angrysquirrel
Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:07 pm
Really appreciate the help Murphy. I'll be heading to walmart to see if I can find a bridge or an access point that can function in bridge mode. Then I'll run my ooma box over to where I want to put it and see if I can get good signal strength and a working phone. I will be amazed if this works. I'll keep you posted! Thanks again! :)