Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#61194 by virgusa
Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:05 pm
Got those on the left disconnected. Will have to shop for wire nuts to cover tomorrow.

Had a neighbor help and he pulled all the wires out on the right side. Tried to reconnect them but must still be something wrong. Will have to take a phone wiring course to get those back right.

Ooma hub works fine with cordless phone. Just would like to get the Scout working with phone jack.

Thanks for your help.
#61195 by Groundhound
Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:34 pm
virgusa wrote:Got those on the left disconnected. Will have to shop for wire nuts to cover tomorrow.

Had a neighbor help and he pulled all the wires out on the right side. Tried to reconnect them but must still be something wrong. Will have to take a phone wiring course to get those back right.

Ooma hub works fine with cordless phone. Just would like to get the Scout working with phone jack.

Thanks for your help.

More than likely it's just a matter of connecting all wires of the same color together so all jacks are wired in parallel. If you only have four jacks in your home then it's very likely since all jacks are wired in a star pattern from your box, if more than four jacks it could be a bit more complicated depending on how the original installer did it.
#61196 by southsound
Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:54 pm
virgusa wrote:Tried to reconnect them but must still be something wrong. Will have to take a phone wiring course to get those back right.

Simple Phone Wiring Course:

Connect wires as shown below:
Line 1
- Red wires to other red wires and blue wires with white stripe
- Green wires to other green wires and white wires with blue stripe

Line 2
- Black wires to other black wires and orange wires with white stripe
- Yellow wires to other yellow wires and white wires with orange stripe

Take any additional green/white wires or other stiped conductors (if any) and curl excess around a pencil for later use.

For any connections I prefer Scotchlock connectors that are gel filled - but until you can get them, just twist together as noted above and cover with tape. You WILL want to find the gel filled connectors before winter.
#61203 by virgusa
Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:16 pm
Confused now.

I need to take those 4 red and 1 blue wires, twist them together, and use a wire connector to protect them and then wrap them behind the red screw at the top right so that the exposed metal that the wire has been striped to can get a connection to the screw.
#61208 by southsound
Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:44 pm
virgusa wrote:Confused now.

I need to take those 4 red and 1 blue wires, twist them together, and use a wire connector to protect them and then wrap them behind the red screw at the top right so that the exposed metal that the wire has been striped to can get a connection to the screw.

All you would have had to do at first is swing the little hinged plug out of the way and leave the wires connected as they were. The ones on the left hand side should not have been touched as they are owned by the telco and they get pretty protective if you ever went back to a landline. But since things are disconnected, all you really want to do is make a connection between the home's jacks so the ooma dialtone (and scout HPNA signal) will flow to all jacks. Your home is wired in what they call a "star" topology. What that means is that each jack is wired individually and runs back to the Network Interface Box. When your neighbor disconnected the wires, he broke the connection between the jacks. Now they are only connected on the jack end - and not to each other. What you want to do is make it so dialtone can enter the system at one jack and flow to the others. You do this by connecting up similar wires.

From the picture, I believe your home was wired with "quad" or 4 conductor wiring (red, green, black, yellow) and at some later date a new jack was added using the more modern twisted pair wiring that has a solid color with a strip and white with the colored stripe for each line. The connections I talked about in my previous post allow you to connect up the wiring at the NIB so your jacks will work correctly. I recommend Scothclock connectors because they are easy to use and trouble free. I would not use the screws in the box to make the connections. If you cannot find the Scotchlock connectors (Lowes and Home Depot both have them) then wire nut will work.

At he hub end, use a single line/two phone splitter to connect up both the WALL and PHONE ports together and to the house's wall jack. Then you can either plug in a phone or a scout at any phone jack in the house. If you plug in a phone, it will give you the same output as the hub. If you plug in a scout (with a phone plugged into the PHONE port on the scout), you will be able to use the instant second line, etc.
#61233 by virgusa
Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:07 am
Just to understand. I will have 4 connections with the Scotchlock connectors when I am done.

1. This will have the first group in one Scotchlock connector. Red wires to other red wires and blue wires with white stripe.

2. This will have the next group of wires in one Scotchlock connector, Green wires to other green wires and white wires with blue stripe.

3. Next group of wires in one Scotchlock connector, Black wires to other black wires and orange wires with white stripe.

4 Next group of wires in one Scotchlock connector, Yellow wires to other yellow wires and white wires with orange stripe.

I should take the ends of each group, 1 - 4, and wrap together and insert in the Scotchlock connector and it will screw on or attach some way. I should have 4 Scotchlock connectors when I am done. Wrap the left over wires around a pencil for later use if needed.

I should reattach the telco wires where they were and just leave the right side unplugged.
#61235 by southsound
Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:52 am
Exactly! The only thing is if you use the Scotchlock connectors, there is no need to strip the wires or twist them. They are self-stripping. Make sure you buy the ones for 4 connections. Arghhh! I just checked both Home Depot and Lowes - the largest they carry are for 3 wires:
If you are not able to find the ones for 4 wires, wire nuts will work fine. As you noted, just strip about 1/2 inch of each, hold them together, and twist on the wire nut. You will need the small ones made for low voltage wire. Typically phone wire is 22 to 24 guage (you have 3x22 and 1x24). Any hardware store should have them. After you make the connections, you can wrap some electrical tape around the wires going towards the nut to seal the connection from moisture.
#61246 by virgusa
Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:04 pm
Both Ooma Hub and Scout connections now blue and working.

Below are differences that I found. Let me know if I need to change anything please.

Connect wires as shown below:
Line 1
- Red wires to other red wires and blue wires with white stripe – I had 3 red & 1 solid blue that I put together.
- Green wires to other green wires and white wires with blue stripe - This is exactly what I had.

Line 2
- Black wires to other black wires and orange wires with white stripe I have 1 black wire and 1 solid orange wire that I put together.
- Yellow wires to other yellow wires and white wires with orange stripe. This is what I have.
#61251 by southsound
Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:00 pm
virgusa wrote:Both Ooma Hub and Scout connections now blue and working. Let me know if I need to change anything please.

I think at this time all I'd so is sluff off the work clothes, pour a nice glass of homemade lemonade, and celebrate. Congratulations on a great job!