Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#60503 by bmccollum
Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:05 am
Long story here, but due to it being easiest to connect our Ooma Telo to an 8-port switch/hub in a different room, I did that, as opposed to connecting it either directly to an available port on our router or between the cable modem and the router.

Should the switch/hub have intelligence as far as prioritizing the needed bandwidth to support the best call quality when the Telo is in use?
#60504 by murphy
Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:55 am
If it's a switch, no.
If it's a hub, put it in the nearest trash can and buy a switch.
#60558 by southsound
Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:05 pm
bmccollum wrote:Long story here, but due to it being easiest to connect our Ooma Telo to an 8-port switch/hub in a different room, I did that, as opposed to connecting it either directly to an available port on our router or between the cable modem and the router.

Should the switch/hub have intelligence as far as prioritizing the needed bandwidth to support the best call quality when the Telo is in use?

I have an integrated DSL monem/router with a 16 port Netgear FS-116 switch. My Telo hangs off one of the ports and works fine. The only problem you will have is if you have bandwidth intensive users (bit torrent is the worst) that need a lot of bandwidth and your connection is limited. Since most of what I do requires little bandwidth, I have had no problems.