Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#60473 by Sevillano
Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:03 am
I have a Westell Versalink 327W combined DSL modem and router. The instructions say to plug the Telo into the modem/router and then to plug the computer into the Telo. I have two computers in my home network. Should I get an Ethernet hub or switch so I can put them both after the Telo?
#60474 by murphy
Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:05 am
If you have more ports available on the modem/router, connect both computers to the modem/router and leave the Home port of the Telo empty.
#60574 by Sevillano
Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:56 am
Thank you for your reply, murphy.

The instructions in the Quick Start Guide say, "Option 2B. Connect behind your integrated modem/router. Connect your computer to Ooma Telo. If your computer is connected directly to your router, disconnect the end plugged into the router and plug it into the Home Network port. This allows Ooma to prioritize your phone calls."

To begin with, I had my two computers and the Telo all plugged into the modem/router. On at least two occasions, Ooma started sending calls to voicemail during heavy computer use. Don't you think in my case, with a 1 mps download and a 384 kbps upload DSL connection, that I might get better service by putting both computers behind the Telo? Right now I have one computer plugged into the router and one plugged into the Telo.