Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#60392 by fssea2
Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:28 am
I have DSL from ATT. I guess that probably is using the other pair? Would this be simplified if I switched to cable for internet?
#60401 by Groundhound
Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:59 am
fssea2 wrote:I have DSL from ATT. I guess that probably is using the other pair? Would this be simplified if I switched to cable for internet?

Not necessarily, if your home was built recently you very well may have additional unused pairs. I assume there is a separate jack installed for the DSL connection, meaning DSL is likely split from your phone service outside your home. If you open the jack cover plates for your voice service in the room where the Hub is & the room where you want the Scout, and look at how many pairs you see connected and also any that may be simply coiled up (disconnected) inside the box it will give you some insight into your wiring options.

As far as the choice of keeping DSL vs. going with cable, what are your goals for your phone service? How many lines do you need, and what do you intend to use Ooma for if you're keeping your AT&T service?
#60415 by fssea2
Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:25 am
I'll look at the wiring when I get home from work. Our house was built in 2000 so I'm hopeful there will be some unused pairs as you indicated.

As far as OOma is concerned I was planning to keep basic service primarily for our alarm system. Other than that I have no particular need for the AT&T service. I currently have my DSL and satellite TV(Dish Network) through AT&T. I wasn't sure if they would continue these services without some phone service.

The only other consideration is that my wife hates when I change things we use everyday for a technologically better service. She is somewhat of the "if it's not broke don't mess with it" philosophy. Right now the corded phone in our bedroom is not on OOMA since the hub is in my home office. If something doesn't work right out of the box I get some grief. Soooo!I want to get 2 scouts working on our system.

I'd ultimately like to have OOMA in the entire house with both cordless(currently working well) and 2 corded phones, but it is sounding more and more like that may be difficult with keeping basic landline service.
I really appreciate all of your help with this and the time you are spending on this problem.
PS.
By the way would a TELO system solve any othe complexity of this set-up?
#60428 by Groundhound
Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:04 am
The Telo and Hub are similar as far as extending dialtone throughout your house from their phone ports, so let us know what you find out when you have a chance to look at your wiring. As far as Scout usage is concerned, they are not necessary to simply extend dialtone from the Hub, but you will still need an unused wire pair. Scouts are for extending the voicemail control interface to other rooms or for use with the Ooma Premier second line feature.

Some here have success with using Ooma with their alarm systems (and some don't); probably if you post more info about the system you have you will find out from other users of similar systems how well it works. If you are able to get Ooma to work reliably with your alarm system, you may want to drop your AT&T phone service but keep your DSL as "dry loop" service. When it comes to phone service, the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is all-important, so I understand your hesitancy to make too many changes at once.
#60450 by fssea2
Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:30 pm
Groundhound,
I checked the wiring at DSL wall jack and there are four pairs of wires. A blue and white pair are carrying the DSl and are connected to the jack. An orange and white pair were left loose but unconnected. The other 2 sets of wires were just wrapped around the main cable.
The jack where the scout would be connected as also for pairs and an orange and white wires are connected to the jack. The others were left unconnected. I hope this is good news but I do get kind of confused by what wire is carrying what.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks again
#60452 by tommies
Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:06 pm
Very good new, you have 3 unused pairs to making thing work your way. Just let us know how you want to set it up. The more detail the better.
1. Using instance second line (premier required) so you can have two concurrent calls (or fax+voice)
2. Want to distribute the hub dial tone to all the wall jacks: one pair
3. Feed the scout dial tone (2nd line) to all the wall jacks: one pair.
4. Keep a basic POST line for alarm (+ DSL): one pair.
5. Using a scout as an answering machine away from the hub.
6. etc.....

After you're done it, the re-wiring is like a walk in the park. It take time to learn to do it, but it's not difficult.
#60456 by fssea2
Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:56 pm
Thank you

I'll put some thought into it tonight and consult with the "Chairman of the Board" and let you know tomorrow.

:D
#60475 by fssea2
Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:43 am
The way I would ideally like to setup my system is to keep the DSL service which currently comes into my home office and where the OOMA hub and wireless DSL router are located. I thus would like to keep the basic phone service with AT&T. I would like to also have the OOMA routed to all of my phone jacks in my house and would like to be able to connect my Dish network receivers into the OOMA system. I would like to have one scout in the kitchen for my wife to have the access to the missed calls and messages so she doesn't have to go up to my office to listen to them.

I hope that all makes sense.
Thanks again for the help
#60494 by Groundhound
Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:29 am
fssea2 wrote:The way I would ideally like to setup my system is to keep the DSL service which currently comes into my home office and where the OOMA hub and wireless DSL router are located. I thus would like to keep the basic phone service with AT&T. I would like to also have the OOMA routed to all of my phone jacks in my house and would like to be able to connect my Dish network receivers into the OOMA system. I would like to have one scout in the kitchen for my wife to have the access to the missed calls and messages so she doesn't have to go up to my office to listen to them.

I hope that all makes sense.
Thanks again for the help

OK, so you will need to identify an unused pair that is disconnected at the Telco NID (important) and is common to both the voice jack box in your office and your kitchen jack, Probably a pair that is now coiled up inside those two boxes (office & kitchen), or possibly connected as the second pair (unused) to your current voice jacks (sounds like the orange & white pair). In your office, is the DSL jack on a separate box? If so look at the box for the voice jack in your office, are two pairs connected? If the orange and white pairs are connected to both kitchen and office voice jacks but unused, you may be able to accomplish what you want without making any wiring changes by use of two "Line1, line2, line1+2" splitters that would allow you to access that second line.
splitter.jpeg
splitter.jpeg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 1394 times