Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#60274 by Gearscout
Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:02 pm
Greetings,

The phone line ported today and tomorrow I'll call ATT and cancel both of my landlines. This evening, I ventured out to the junction box where the lines come in and found THIS!

- two landlines
- there was an alarm but it is replaced with a wireless system
- house apparently had multiple phones for a home business at one time

Obviously, it's the large black cable that is carrying the lines into the house.

Should I disconnect everything tied to the large box on the upper left?

What about these two phone plugs on the right? Would disconnecting those be enough to remove the ATT lines from the home system, as that appears to be the location where all of the house lines are tied in.

Seriously, when I saw this I wondered if the easiest thing to do wasn't to just take a pair of wire cutters to the big black cable!

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
#60275 by bhlonewolf
Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:08 pm
Just a quick glance -- you should be able to just unplug the "typical" looking jacks (tan colored) near the middle of the picture. I'm guessing it's wired that way for 2 lines... when you disconnect those, might want to put tape/note over them b/c you don't want them accidentally plugged in if you're feeding tone internally...
#60277 by Gearscout
Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:19 pm
Quick reply...thanks.

OK...I'll give that a try. Lines are still working and I can test them to see if they are disconnected.

Good idea on the note!

Thanks...any other suggestions/warnings would be appreciated.
#60284 by tommies
Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:28 pm
Do not touch/alter any thing on the left side of the box. In my NIT, there is a secondary cover which covers the left haft, and I don't bother to open it. It's belong to the Telco., and Bellsouth/ATT will make me pay dearly if I'm messing with it.
Seriously, when I saw this I wondered if the easiest thing to do wasn't to just take a pair of wire cutters to the big black cable!
No, a big NO, NO.

As the above poster said, you just need to unplug the two little short plugs from the test jacks in the 2nd pic., If you want to feed the ooma dial tone to the house wiring, it's essential that the bundle of color wires on the right is kept intact.
#60296 by Gearscout
Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:55 am
Thanks again to BHLonewolf and thanks to Tommies!

It's done. Simple. Just unplugged the two lines from the jacks as advised by bhlonewolf and left a note inside.

Once I had checked that the two lines were well and truly dead, I connected the system to the Ooma Phone jack and had dial-tone all through the house.

Cheers!