Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#60080 by shaklee3
Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:04 pm
I've been reading the documentation on how to connect two lines, but they all seem to only apply to putting two lines on the same physically-wired jacks in the house. What if I have two jacks across the house, which are not connected in any way? I have the Ooma Telo, but would it be easier if I got the hub/scout to do this? I'd think the scout wouldn't work though since the lines don't connect. One is going to be used for fax only, and one is for calls.
#60081 by tommies
Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:25 pm
First, you need premier to have instant second line feature.

With the telo, instant second line is supported with the ooma handset, which does not support a dial tone. For what you try to do, a hub+scout combo will do.

For a hub+scout combo, just put them side by side and connect WALL to WALL with the shortest phone cord you can find (please note that the longer the cord--between WALL to WALL--the worse the call quality on the scout.) Then the two PHONE ports will give two separated lines/dial tone to feeding into your wall jacks.
#60088 by shaklee3
Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:59 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. Let me clear this up a bit: I have an office that has 2 phone jacks, and a kitchen with 1 phone jack. Currently though Comcast, out of my modem there's 2 phone jacks. One of these goes directly into the fax machine, and one goes into the wall, which is connected to the jack in the kitchen. What I don't want is to have the main line that's in the kitchen get any of the calls for the fax machine in the office. With the configuration you mention, is that possible? Will the kitchen phone only get calls for line 1, and the fax only get calls for line 2?
#60090 by tommies
Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:45 pm
Yes, in ooma term, a shared device vs a private device.

In short, you make your hub a private device and assign its a number(line 2), it will become the fax number, or if you port your fax number over. Then connect the fax directly to the hub PHONE port.

The scout remain a shared device, and you can feed the dial tone from it PHONE port the the wall jack.

* a shared device will ring on all calls coming to (shared) numbers, which are not assigned to a private device.
* a private device will ring only on calls that is coming to its assigned number.
* any call will ring either the shared or private devices but not both.

With the newer Telo, the hand set can act like a scout, but it does not supply a dial tone for a regular phone set to work.

PS.
My Comcast modem also has two phone jacks, but I only sign up for internet only.
#60092 by shaklee3
Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:32 pm
Ok, just to be clear, I should return the telo and get a core. Once I have it, the hub will set right next to my modem and connect the phone port directly to the fax machine. The wall port will plug in to the wall, and connect to the scout, which is in the kitchen. The scout in the kitchen will connect to the wall port to the wall, and the phone will connect to my real home phone. Is this correct?
#60145 by shaklee3
Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:23 pm
We have cable so that should be ok. Just for my own sake, can you explain to me how that works? How does the hub know which line to ring when a call comes in? Is there somewhere that I tell the hub that phone number A always ring line 1 (or the phone jack) on the hub, and phone # B always rings the "wall" output of the hub?
#60191 by southsound
Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:29 am
shaklee3 wrote:We have cable so that should be ok. Just for my own sake, can you explain to me how that works? How does the hub know which line to ring when a call comes in? Is there somewhere that I tell the hub that phone number A always ring line 1 (or the phone jack) on the hub, and phone # B always rings the "wall" output of the hub?

The wall port on the hub has only two purposes - it either is connected to an existing landline if you chose to integrate your landline (bad choice IMHO) or as a communication link to one or more scouts. It does not carry voice between the hub and the scout - it is a digital connection using HPNA. Using your my.ooma.com configuration you can cause a particular scout to be shared or personal. If it is personal, you can assign a number to it. Since you can have several scouts on your system, if you have additional numbers, each scout can have it's own number. Think family with two teenagers - Sally has a scout with her number, Billy has one with his number, and the hub is the family number. All assignments are made using my.ooma.com.