Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#60078 by bhlonewolf
Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:50 pm
Hi folks,

Technically proficient but new ooma user here, so that usually means danger :)

I have an ooma core (hub/scout) I just activated. Old setup is vonage, fed throughout the entire home, with service disconnected at the panel outside. In my setup, everything (network/phone/modem/UPS) is in my office, so that's where the hub will stay. Previously, we kept our answering machine in the kitchen (instead of using voicemail).

What I'd like to do is feed ooma to the whole house so no real change. I'd like to use the scout in the kitchen really just for voicemail. For the phone in the kitchen, then, I'm not sure if there's any real difference between hooking it up to the scout or to the wall. The wall is giving me dial tone from the hub, so not sure if this will cause any problems.

If I connect the phone in the kitchen to the scout, I've read some say the call quality might be an issue when using the scout? Also, the instant second line feature is easier to use with it connected to the scout.

Anyway, seems a tad redundant since tone is already there, so just looking for feedback and if anyone else has connected the scout to an "all ooma" house.

Thanks!
#60079 by Groundhound
Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:18 pm
As you have already found out, the Ooma Hub distributes dialtone via its phone port. To use the Premier second line you must use a Scout. The Scout and Hub communicate with each other via HPNA over their respective wall ports, and the Scout then delivers dialtone for the second line to its phone port. If you don't have the Premier second line, then the Scout functions as a remote voicemail interface device. The wall port to wall port HPNA connection and the Hub's phone port dial tone can coexist on the same house wire pair, as long as their is no DSL signal on that pair. HPNA and DSL don't play well together.

As far as the voice quality issue that many have reported with the Scout, you'll have to try it to see. It manifests itself on the other party's end, so you'll need to ask them if they can hear a buzz.
#60082 by bhlonewolf
Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:34 pm
Thanks for the reply Groundhound!

Makes sense -- I've got the hub up and running, but I ran into a small problem w/ the scout.

What I did was: Ooma Hub Phone port -> Wall jack. This gave every phone dial tone. The Ooma Hub wall port is empty. I'm guessing this is fairly typical setup so all the jacks in the house are live, and all phones/equipment just works.

But, the scout couldn't communicate with the hub. When I plug the hub's wall jack to the wall, the scout turns blue right away -- but then I lose dial tone on all the jacks. I went ahead and connected the ooma phone jack to a splitter, feeding both the ooma wall port and wall jack. Everything seems to work fine (tone everywhere + scout) but wanted to check if this is the way others do it?

Thanks for the help!
#60085 by Groundhound
Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:49 pm
bhlonewolf wrote: I went ahead and connected the ooma phone jack to a splitter, feeding both the ooma wall port and wall jack. Everything seems to work fine (tone everywhere + scout) but wanted to check if this is the way others do it?

That's the way to do it. As I said, the noise issue is a YMMV one.
#60089 by bhlonewolf
Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:06 pm
Great! Thanks much...

As for call quality, I'll ask the people I speak with how it sounds, maybe take the phone and call my cell phone, and put it in front of the TV or something to test it out. Worst case, I can just keep it as a voice mail tool....

Thanks again...