Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#60016 by whitesox33
Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:37 am
So I've been told by just about everyone that choosing to use a temporary number is better than the other option of using ooma with my current phone provider. My question is, when I get this temporary number, is this the number people have to call to reach me? Or can they call my current number like usual?
#60017 by murphy
Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am
whitesox33 wrote:So I've been told by just about everyone that choosing to use a temporary number is better than the other option of using ooma with my current phone provider. My question is, when I get this temporary number, is this the number people have to call to reach me? Or can they call my current number like usual?

What is your eventual intention?
Do you plan to keep your current phone provider or port your current phone number to Ooma and cancel your current provider?
#60018 by whitesox33
Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:43 am
murphy wrote:
whitesox33 wrote:So I've been told by just about everyone that choosing to use a temporary number is better than the other option of using ooma with my current phone provider. My question is, when I get this temporary number, is this the number people have to call to reach me? Or can they call my current number like usual?

Do you plan to keep your current phone provider or port your current phone number to Ooma and cancel your current provider?

The number will be ported and then I plan to cancel my provider. I'm just wondering if during the port process I need to tell people this temporary number to reach me or if they can just call my current number. I figured the temporary number meant it would be replacing my current number during the porting process.
#60020 by murphy
Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:57 am
whitesox33 wrote:
murphy wrote:

The number will be ported and then I plan to cancel my provider. I'm just wondering if during the port process I need to tell people this temporary number to reach me or if they can just call my current number. I figured the temporary number meant it would be replacing my current number during the porting process.

Configure your Comcast account to forward all calls to the temporary number.
Or, keep a phone on the Comcast box to receive calls and another phone on the Ooma box to make calls.