Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#59957 by bmccollum
Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:22 am
I have a question as to people's experience with charges / fees assessed by AT&T when they've purchased the Ooma Telo, put in a request to port over their existing home # from AT&T to Ooma, of course negated their land line once that porting is complete, and just maintained their existing AT&T DSL Fast Access (Dry Loop / DSL Direct) service...

My understanding is that the charges would just be the $39.99 porting fee (via Ooma), and then likely a $5 per month increase in the Fast Access DSL (Dry Loop / DSL Direct... no landline now) service from AT&T.

Are there any other fees that AT&T tries to hit you with as far as a processing fee for dropping the land line and/or reconfiguring anything at your home to now be just DSL-provided service instead of the previous combination of DSL & home phone service via AT&T?

Thanks!
#59958 by DTMF
Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:29 am
If the job requires a technician to come out to the premises, it'll be another 80-some dollars.

I tried to do this and AT&T screwed up the work order, disconnecting my DSL. They tried to charge me $110 to reconnect it 3 weeks later, but I had already moved on to cable modem service.

My advice, if you want to avoid the problems I had is to be very explicit about the changes and call during weekday business hours so that you get an experienced customer service rep. My mistake was calling on a weekend and the rep working that day was the one who screwed up the work orders.

Others have recommended that you ignore Ooma's warnings to the contrary and do the port without notifying AT&T. Once the port is complete, let them know you want to keep dry loop and there shouldn't even need to be a truck roll to change your account. That approach requires a willingness to go against several Ooma warnings and lie to them about your AT&T service when you sign up. ;)
Last edited by DTMF on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
#59959 by bw1
Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 am
I don't think so, but I don't have any experience with that. I know a couple of people that switched to U-verse when they wanted to port or cancel their phone number with AT&T and still have an internet connection from them.

See here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6784
More topics here - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q ... afe=images
#59967 by Bobby B
Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:43 am
You should get dry-loop DSL before starting the port -- some providers will just cancel your DSL service if you don't ask for dry-loop ahead of time (it's happened to many customers who didn't see or ignored the warning), since the ported phone number was associated with the account.

DTMF wrote:Others have recommended that you ignore Ooma's warnings to the contrary and do the port without notifying AT&T. Once the port is complete, let them know you want to keep dry loop and there shouldn't even need to be a truck roll to change your account. That approach requires a willingness to go against several Ooma warnings and lie to them about your AT&T service when you sign up. ;)
#59971 by DTMF
Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:20 am
FWIW Bobby, Ooma's recommended approach caused me a lot of heartache (a couple of additional hours of time on the phone with AT&T reps) and ultimately caused me to make a provider change when I followed it to the letter and AT&T cancelled my DSL service a week after I ported my number to Ooma. While it seems perfectly logical to tell your current provider your intentions in advance, it's apparently not so easy for AT&T to make everything happen in the right order without screwing up. One size doesn't necessarily fit all providers. This question was about AT&T, so I thought I would share my experience. Perhaps Ooma should consider revising its recommendations for a port from AT&T?

Bobby B wrote:You should get dry-loop DSL before starting the port -- some providers will just cancel your DSL service if you don't ask for dry-loop ahead of time (it's happened to many customers who didn't see or ignored the warning), since the ported phone number was associated with the account.

DTMF wrote:Others have recommended that you ignore Ooma's warnings to the contrary and do the port without notifying AT&T. Once the port is complete, let them know you want to keep dry loop and there shouldn't even need to be a truck roll to change your account. That approach requires a willingness to go against several Ooma warnings and lie to them about your AT&T service when you sign up. ;)
#59974 by Bobby B
Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:49 am
Hmm maybe - let me ask the porting team to see if this is common trend with DSL-related ports from AT&T.

-Bobby

DTMF wrote:Perhaps Ooma should consider revising its recommendations for a port from AT&T?
#59975 by bmccollum
Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:14 am
Bobby B wrote:Hmm maybe - let me ask the porting team to see if this is common trend with DSL-related ports from AT&T.

-Bobby

DTMF wrote:Perhaps Ooma should consider revising its recommendations for a port from AT&T?

Bobby: That would be awesome if you could find and post AT&T's direct response on how this item should be handled in their eyes. Thanks!
#59977 by wildthing
Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:40 pm
Will be interested to hear more... :) I just started using Ooma recently and so far I am very happy with the voice quality. I have AT&T landline phone and DSL right now and if the quality of Ooma remains the same for the next couple of weeks I would like to start the porting process. The simplest and easiest way of doing this however is a little confusing since there seems to be so many different opinions out there from various people and Ooma. Its also a bit scary when you hear about some of the problems people have had with AT&T.

In another thread someone said:

Anyway, if anyone is wondering what the BEST way to port your number from an AT&T dsl/phone combined line is, here were my steps:

1. Requested number port through Ooma
2. Waited for e-mail from Ooma to confirm exact date of port
3. Went online to AT&T and signed up for Dryloop DSL service (DSL DIRECT)....choose same activation date as port date (all online)
4. THAT'S IT!!!

this is the best way to do it, because once your number is ported, AT&T AUTOMATICALLY stops your old dsl service, along with your landline phone since they were on the same account. on the same day, your dryloop dsl should get activated.

I just wonder if this might be the best and easiest way of doing it since you don't have to contact AT&T by phone and try to talk with a CS rep who may or may not understand what you want to have done or how to do it properly. Which in turn can cause problems for you.