Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#59915 by whitesox33
Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:40 pm
I have two different phone numbers that I want to port to ooma. One is a normal phone and one is on a fax machine. From what I have hooked up, the ooma hub is a clear blue color, but the scout has rewind, pause, play and forward all in red. Do I need to purchase this second number for this to stop being red? And do I need to purchase premiere so I can port two numbers to the hub? For some reason too the scout with red buttons has the ooma dial tone while the fax machine has a normal dial tone.
#59923 by tommies
Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:44 pm
1. Yes, if you want porting 2 numbers, you need to sign up for premier. The core/basic service only allows one phone number. The premier has two numbers, additional number can have for $5 (I think.)

2. The fax machine has to connect directly to the hub (or through a house wiring) not to the scout.

3. The scout light pattern means it cannot communicate with the hub. For testing purpose, bring the scout next to the hub and connect them WALL to WALL with a short phone cord. If it works (has dial tone), the problem is with your house wiring or mistake in install. This has nothing to do with your level of service (premier or basic/core)

4. Plug a phone to the hub PHONE port to test, and it should have a ooma dial tone. If the fax machine have normal dial tone, it is on the land line service not ooma. Do you integrate your land line with ooma? This usually means you are required to plug your working land line into the hub WALL port and do not have an ooma assigned phone number.

Please post more detail on your setup, starting with the isp service (DSL or cable) modem, router, etc. How your devices are connected.
#59934 by whitesox33
Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:57 pm
Alright, I'm really determined to get this working. Here is as detailed as I can get with no ooma hooked up:

Phone (541*XXXX) - Phone wire from phone jack to wall phone jack
Fax (971*XXXX) - Phone wire from fax machine phone jack to EMTA modem phone jack
Comcast EMTA modem - Phone wire from Comcast EMTA phone jack to wall phone jack
D-Link Router
Cable internet

That's how it is exactly hooked up, hopefully that's enough detail. The goal is to have both numbers ported so I can stop paying for my Comcast phone bills, cheers. :) :)

#59940 by murphy
Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:47 am
Activate your hub to use without a land line. If you have already activated it to use with a land line, call customer support to have them change it. You will select a temporary phone number for the hub.

Turn off the power to all of your equipment.

Disconnect the phone wire from the fax to the Comcast box and connect it to the Phone port of the hub.
Disconnect the other phone wire from the Comcast box and connect it to the Phone port of the Scout.
Connect a short phone wire from the wall port of the hub to the wall port of the scout.
Connect a LAN cable from the modem to the Modem port of the hub.
Connect a LAN cable from Home port of the hub to the WAN / Internet port of the router.

Turn on the modem and wait for it to sync with Comcast.
Turn on the hub and scout and wait for it to stabilize. The tab on the hub and the scout will be blue.
Make sure the knob on the right side of the hub and the scout is turned all the way up.

At this point your temporary number will be active on the fax machine and your other phones.

Go to my.ooma.com and select the Add-Ons page.
Pick a second temporary number. Note that you must subscribe to Premier before your trial period ends to keep two numbers.

The next step is to set the scout as a personal device and to assign the second phone number to it.

Once that is done the first number will be on the fax machine and the second number will be on the phones.

Port the Comcast fax number to the replace the first temporary number on the hub.
Port the other Comcast number to replace the second temporary number.

Note that it is best to not port both numbers simultaneously. The secondary Comcast number should be ported first.
If you port the primary Comcast number first they may close the account and you would lose the secondary number.

Comcast will eventually replace the EMTA modem with a standard modem.
#59945 by whitesox33
Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:35 am
Wow, thanks Murphy. I have just one more question, if I choose the temporary option like you've stated, will people still be able to call my current numbers to reach me? Or do they have to call the temporary numbers? Wow, I'm pumped, thanks!!!
#59946 by murphy
Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:06 am
They would have to call your current numbers.
Land line integration would avoid that for one number but the other would be out in the cold since you can only integrate one number. The least expensive way is to leave phones connected to the two Comcast numbers during the port and use those for incoming calls. Make your outgoing calls using the Ooma phone to get used to how it works and take advantage of free calling to the whole USA. The other method is to set up your Comcast numbers to forward to the temporary numbers. On Verizon that would cost money. I don't know how Comcast handles forwarding.
#59949 by whitesox33
Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:32 am
murphy wrote:They would have to call your current numbers.
Land line integration would avoid that for one number but the other would be out in the cold since you can only integrate one number. The least expensive way is to leave phones connected to the two Comcast numbers during the port and use those for incoming calls. Make your outgoing calls using the Ooma phone to get used to how it works and take advantage of free calling to the whole USA. The other method is to set up your Comcast numbers to forward to the temporary numbers. On Verizon that would cost money. I don't know how Comcast handles forwarding.

When you say use the ooma phone for outgoing calls, I dont have an actual ooma phone. It's just the ooma hub and scout. The old version of ooma before the ooma telo. Unless you mean just use my phones that now have the ooma dial tone?
#59951 by murphy
Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:41 am
Yes, standard phones connected to the Phone port of the hub and/or to the Scout.
The ideal interim case would be 4 independent phones to connect to the two land lines (Comcast) and to the two Ooma lines.
Presumable your fax machine has a built in phone so that takes care of one of them.
#59960 by whitesox33
Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:36 am
Bah, one last thing. You said, "Note that it is best to not port both numbers simultaneously. The secondary Comcast number should be ported first. If you port the primary Comcast number first they may close the account and you would lose the secondary number." Are you saying Comcast might close my account if they see me porting two numbers at the same time? :shock: