Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#3899 by mvalpreda
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:44 pm
I have a cordless phone/answering machine in another room and the Ooma in the room where the cable modem is.

I'm trying to get the Scout working and from what I read I need to have the phone line plugged into WALL on the Hub and then the phone daisy chained out from there. When I go from WALL on the Ooma into the wall jack, the cordless phone in the other room does not work. If I I go from PHONE to the wall jack I get dial tone and everything is happy.

Can I use it like that and get the Scout to work? Or should I hook this up different? I cannot move the cordless phone/answering machine base to the same room as the Hub. I was hoping to hook up the Scout to an upstairs loft area for the fax machine.
#3924 by tommies
Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:12 pm
mvalpreda wrote: If I I go from PHONE to the wall jack I get dial tone and everything is happy.

In this setup, your house wiring is an extension(virtual splitter) of the hub phone port, and every thing that plugs into the wall jack is connected to the hub by a (virtual) multi-splitter. It might be your best bet if you want to use your fax machine regularly. In this case you don't need the scout. It seems that you don't have an active land line.

I'm trying to get the Scout working and from what I read I need to have the phone line plugged into WALL on the Hub and then the phone daisy chained out from there. When I go from WALL on the Ooma into the wall jack, the cordless phone in the other room does not work.

No, you misunderstood the instruction. The hub and the scout communicate by the house wiring. To make it work, the wall port on both the hub+scout have to connect to the wall jack, and the phones connect to the phone port on the hub&scout.

I was hoping to hook up the Scout to an upstairs loft area for the fax machine.

No, OOMA recommends that the fax machine needs to connect to the hub. Eventhough, fax support is limited. If I remember right, fax with 5 pages or less might be ok, longer fax might cause trouble.

good luck
tommies