Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#59716 by Groundhound
Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:45 pm
The Telo base does not ring. Phones connected to its phone port should ring. Also if you have a Telo Handset (optional) it should ring depending on how you set the Handset up.
#59717 by southsound
Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:48 pm
The Telo does not have a ringer. Plug a cordless base or a corded phone into the PHONE jack on the Telo and you will be all set. You can also easily power all of the jacks in your home using that port unless you have DSL or an integrated landline. If you have either or both we can walk you through some alternatives. Let us know. :cool:
#59734 by AzJazz
Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:51 pm
As stated previously: No, the Telo doesn't ring.

That said, I don't understand why it can't. It should be feasible via a firmware upgrade - All of the hardware necessary is already there. The Telo knows when a call is coming in, and it plays audio when playing back voicemail messages.
#59742 by Davesworld
Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:09 pm
AzJazz wrote:As stated previously: No, the Telo doesn't ring.

That said, I don't understand why it can't. It should be feasible via a firmware upgrade - All of the hardware necessary is already there. The Telo knows when a call is coming in, and it plays audio when playing back voicemail messages.

You sure about all the hardware being there? No it isn't and that's a GOOD thing. It's just the receiving end of a speakerphone without a mic or dial keypad and exists only to hear messages. The device is an ATA and should no more ring than a wall jack when connected to Ma Bell. It would be useless for anything to ring with no phone hooked to it. It's bad enough that some cordless systems will ring the base ( I turn that feature off as quickly as I can) as well which does no good if the handset is 50 feet away under a pile of clothes. I only want things to ring that I can talk on. A ringing ATA? I'd defeat that feature in short order if it existed. There are too many compromises in a swiss army knife version of an ATA as it is.
#59743 by southsound
Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:22 pm
nerdstalker wrote:Under the premium plan ther is an option for custom incoming rings, so that only pertains to the ooma branded handsets?

Not at all. I have two Telo handsets and a Uniden 1580-5 connected to my Telo. My Uniden handsets ring with the same distinctive pattern as my Telo handsets. You can set the ring pattern differently for each number so you can always tell what number is being called.
#59755 by AzJazz
Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:53 am
Davesworld wrote:
AzJazz wrote:As stated previously: No, the Telo doesn't ring.

You sure about all the hardware being there? No it isn't and that's a GOOD thing. It's just the receiving end of a speakerphone without a mic or dial keypad and exists only to hear messages. The device is an ATA and should no more ring than a wall jack when connected to Ma Bell. It would be useless for anything to ring with no phone hooked to it. It's bad enough that some cordless systems will ring the base ( I turn that feature off as quickly as I can) as well which does no good if the handset is 50 feet away under a pile of clothes. I only want things to ring that I can talk on. A ringing ATA? I'd defeat that feature in short order if it existed. There are too many compromises in a swiss army knife version of an ATA as it is.

So, I'm confused: Yes, I'm sure the all the hardware is there. There is a speaker, the Telo totally controls how the speaker is used, and the Telo knows when a phone call arrives. What would be the problem if the firmware was upgraded to allow a ringing noise when a call comes in, and that feature was configurable via the setup.ooma.com configuration page?

I wouldn't necessarily use it, but it doesn't mean that I was wrong.

AzJazz
#59760 by DTMF
Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:19 am
If you want the Telo to ring, plug in a ringer instead of a phone. :)

If the Telo could ring, that would necessitate adding more controls to the front panel to control the ringing. (On/off/volume/etc.) IMO adding controls would detract from the design simplicity of that panel, for a function that is not common on analog telephone adapters.