Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#62770 by southsound
Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:51 pm
I think that all of the rats nest is from the telco - and you can disconnect just by either clipping or unscrewing the two wires on the left side - the ones I am talking about are the blue/white pair. They go up from the screws and have another wire wrapped around them. Easiest way would be to just take a clippers or sissors and cut them close to the screws. A little bit of tape to cover the ends should be all you need.

After cutting them, let us know if your problem is cured.

As to the DirecTV question, if you post the model number of your receiver, maybe someone with the same model can tell you how they set things up. If it is a rather new unit, it may even have an RJ45 network jack on the back - that's how my DishNetwork box is set up.
#62772 by Ima2Avoter
Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:53 am
I found out that the model is the DirecTV Plus HD DVR receiver HR24/500 using software version: 0x3e0, Sat 6/12, 12:36p

If I snip the wires on the left side (or disconnect them from posts), don't I need to splice the like-colored wired together to re-establish a completed circuit for that specific colored wire? Or do exactly as you said and just cut them and tape together without stripping and splicing? I'm not sure if it matters, that's why I'm asking. Than you so much for taking the time to edify a member of the community.
#62790 by southsound
Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:56 am
Ima2Avoter wrote: If I snip the wires on the left side (or disconnect them from posts), don't I need to splice the like-colored wired together to re-establish a completed circuit for that specific colored wire?
I didn't see any other blue/white wires - but then again, being there is better than looking at a picture. From the picture, it looks like the solid color wires that come up from the bottom of the picture are from a 6-pair telephone company feed cable. These are the ones you want disconnected from your interior wiring. It looks like there is only one interior cable - and only the blue/white pair is used. The other pairs from that cable, orange/white, green/white, and brown/white are coiled up and disconnected besides the block (left side). If there are more blue/white wires like the ones shown, let me know - but it looks like your home was wired in a "daisy-chain topology". What that means is your phone cable goes from the NIB to the first phone jack, then to the second, then the third much like a string of the large (110V) Christmas lights. Disconnecting the one pair from the NIB keeps all the outlets connected but removes the voltage from the utility.

Or do exactly as you said and just cut them and tape together without stripping and splicing?
The idea is to tape them so they don't connect to anything. You are not taping them "together" you are just taping the ends to they don't touch.

I'm not sure if it matters, that's why I'm asking. Than you so much for taking the time to edify a member of the community.
We were all where you are once. So we're happy to help a fellow ooma user.
#62791 by southsound
Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:09 am
Ima2Avoter wrote:I found out that the model is the DirecTV Plus HD DVR receiver HR24/500 using software version: 0x3e0, Sat 6/12, 12:36p

From what I've discovered, your receiver has an ethernet port on the backside. I believe that if all you are doing is trying to satisfy the needs for your receiver to connect to the mothership, then running a network cable from this port to your router or switch will satisfy that need and also give you some neat extras - like video on demand. I think that there may be an Internet Option available - but I believe this is for synching several of the receivers using your coax and is not required for what you want to do.

Other DirecTV Plus HD DVR receiver HR24/500 users care to verify???
#62824 by Ima2Avoter
Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:19 pm
Hello "southsound",

I dug a bit into the NIB further. The upper left post had a red wire and a white with lite blue stripes/bands, and the lower left post had a blue wire and blue wire with lite blue stripes/bands. As a test, I delicately removed each wire and carefully noted their locations (if this didn't work and I had to reconnect). Upon separation of those wires from the block, I reconnected a phone to the house phone jacks (testing each location throughout the house) and successfully heard the OOMA dial tone. Since I believe this was the desired outcome of my quest, I have snipped the bare ends off the ATT wires and permanently labeled them as such. I also taped them and secured them in the NIB prior to closing up the box. Thank you for that solution, the house now has phones by OOMA everywhere. As far as the DirecTV receiver is concerned, the ethernet connection cannot be used because I have "Whole Home DVR" set up. Once an ethernet 10/100 cable is connected, it disables the "Whole Home DVR" setup since the install utilizes a DirecTV DECA (dedicated ethernet cable adapter) cable home connection adapter. To use the ethernet port, I need to contact them and a technician does something that activates the receivers to allow for the internet direct-download features and the DirecTVPC function to work. I only know this because, in my infinite wisdom, I tried to connect my receivers to my router when I had DSL. I ended up doing major tech support time with their CS and, to top it off, THEY had no idea what went wrong. I ended up disconnecting everything and reconnecting in original configuration to re-establish the "Whole Home DVR" component. Even when I manually configured the IP addresses /subnet masks/DNS and all other inputs, I could not get it to work. I guess it's their way to make you pay for another service or Tech visit...who knows? I will try to see tomorrow whether or not the receiver calls out in the early morning hours when I check my call log on OOMA and the receiver. Thanks to everyone and I hope I was able to help someone else who may go through this , too.
#67604 by WayneDsr
Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:33 pm
focuspuller wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:As a side note:
I have Direct TV with no DVR, just a Direct TV box and I haven't had it connected to a phone for years. No problems from DTV.

Wayne

You will not get firmware updates without a phone or internet connection to the DirecTV Boxes

FYI:
This is no longer true. I do not have my direct tv unit connected to a phone and I am getting updates downloaded to my unit via airwaves. (had one tonite) I asked my Direct TV Rep and he told me that the only reason you need a phone connected is to buy pay movies using your remote and to view caller id on the tv screen.

Wayne