Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#59697 by bradforj
Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:51 am
I am wanting to port my GV number to ooma, and my understanding is that this is possible. GV allows porting away of numbers, but ooma is asking for a copy of a bill with name/address/phone number from GV. This is not possible as there is no bill. Can anyone who has done this before tell me how they ported away a GV number?
#59698 by southsound
Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:07 am
I'm an avid "naked" Google Voice user so please understand that my questions are meant only to help me understand your desires and needs.

Since you can use GV as a front end to ANY phone system - and it is really just a superb phone management service, what is the advantage of porting your GV number to ooma? Why not just point your GV number to your ooma number (and/or any other numbers you choose? The only advantage I see is that you could then send your GV number as outgoing CID. I've trained my callers to ignore the CID that comes with my calls and only use the GV number. I tell them that I have 7 phone numbers and 19 phones (all true, by the way). If they want to reach me with just one call, they can call my GV number. If they are more interested in playing the lottery, they can use the CID number.

If you have a Telo and are a Premier subscriber, you CAN use Premier Extensions for Google Voice (GVE) and your Telo system will have some degree of integration with GV including the ability to send your GV number as CID. For myself, I prefer to use GV "naked" as I have more flexibility and don't have to dedicate one of my precious numbers as a Google Voice Virtual Number that is not used for anything but linking with GV.

Have you been using GV with your ooma system already? What features would you like to gain with the porting?

See this thread on the Google Voice forum: What information do you need to provide to port out the GV number?
#59699 by bradforj
Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:47 am
I just really want to keep it simple, and I could not get any local numbers from ooma. So I signed up for GV this morning for no other purpose than to get a local phone number for the purpose of porting it. I want to be able to have a single number that shows up on CID when I place calls and I have no use for all of the features that GV provides. I just want an ooma that replaces the functionality of my old land line exactly.
#59715 by southsound
Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:45 pm
bradforj wrote:I just really want to keep it simple, and I could not get any local numbers from ooma. So I signed up for GV this morning for no other purpose than to get a local phone number for the purpose of porting it. I want to be able to have a single number that shows up on CID when I place calls and I have no use for all of the features that GV provides. I just want an ooma that replaces the functionality of my old land line exactly.

I don't think you will be able to port the GV number at this time - but if you ask ooma customer support to get you a local number, they have been pretty good about it. When I first bought my ooma hub many, many months ago they didn't have any local numbers for me but within about a week or 10 days I was all set with one that was local.

Since you are new to both, welcome to ooma and to the forum!
#59811 by doug
Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:38 pm
southsound wrote:The only advantage I see is that you could then send your GV number as outgoing CID. I've trained my callers to ignore the CID that comes with my calls and only use the GV number.

Don't underestimate that "only" advantage. It is quite natural for people to return calls by just letting the phone redial the number on a missed call, whether using a landline (including VoIP) or a cell phone.

If you've trained your callers to ignore the CID and only call you back on the GV number, I suspect you are in the minority. It is one thing to train them to initiate a call using the GV number, and quite another to train them to not return a missed call by using letting it redial a CID which was received.

How did you manage to train them to do that?
#59820 by southsound
Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:49 am
doug wrote:
southsound wrote:The only advantage I see is that you could then send your GV number as outgoing CID. I've trained my callers to ignore the CID that comes with my calls and only use the GV number.

If you've trained your callers to ignore the CID and only call you back on the GV number, I suspect you are in the minority. It is one thing to train them to initiate a call using the GV number, and quite another to train them to not return a missed call by using letting it redial a CID which was received.

How did you manage to train them to do that?

Pretty much discipline on my part and the announce only function of my Uniden 1580 I have on our basic landline. If I'm home and they call my cell and nothing else rings, I check CID and most likely will ignore the call. Why should I pay airtime when someone is too lazy to update their contacts list? If they call the landline, they get my message that "the number you have called has been changed. The new number is (my GV number)." If they call one of my Telo numbers and I'm home, I take the call as it doesn't cost me anything - but if there is no "call presentation" by GV I know they dialed the ooma number so I remind them that it is risky to not call my GV number. For me it works, YMMV.
#59870 by southsound
Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:14 pm
bw1 wrote:I understand brownies work well. :D

Has anyone else noticed that Wayne has been sort of lax in offering the "food of the gods" walnut brownies that his bride makes? Have we all fallen off his BFF list? :shock:
#61485 by bradforj
Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:36 am
I did not want to count my chickens before they hatched, but the port from Google Voice completed today! It is absolutely possible to do this, even though several thought that it was not. This was only necessary because ooma does not have any numbers available that are local for my area.

Order received Received order on Jul 11, 2010
Information verified Your porting info was verified on Jul 12, 2010
Port initiated Number port is estimated to complete on Aug 04, 2010
Port scheduled for completion Your port is scheduled to complete on Aug 04, 2010
Port completed Your port completed on Aug 04, 2010