Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#59340 by bmccollum
Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:37 pm
Once our existing home # is ported over to the Ooma device/service, I have a question regarding exactly what is meant by several posts I've read where people state to "be sure your traditional land line is disconnected before connecting your Ooma device to a jack in your house for providing a dial tone to all jacks throughout your house".

Are they meaning (1) call the land line telephone provider to verify that your traditional land line service is disconnected and just go ahead and leave the existing land line wires as they are from the telephone company box outside of the house running through the brick and inside the house since the lines should be "dead' now, or (2) are they meaning that once the # is ported over, you should physically cut or disconnect the previously-used land line wires from the telephone company box outside your house?
#59342 by dsinternet
Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:47 pm
It is best if you disconnect your wiring from your house. Don't cut any wiring. There is normally a simple place to unplug it. In my case it's in my basement. My mothers is in her garage. It's near where the phone line enters your house. Look around a little bit and see if you can find it. No need to call the phone company.