Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#3859 by skiptio
Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:11 pm
I just got ooma today. It's set up and I can receive calls and make 800 calls out but every time I try to make a local call it tells me I need to enter an area code. I've tried entering the area code with and without the 1 first and it still says the same thing. In my area all calls whether local or not need to be dialed with an area code so that is not abnormal. Any suggestions to get ooma working on outbound local calls?
#3898 by skiptio
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:39 pm
Here is the answer. My current land line is through Comcast. Aparently Comcast phone service is VoIP though they don't tell you that. I was trying to use the existing number instead of getting a new temporarty one. That doesn't work with Comcast. Ooma gave me a new temporary number and everything works fine.
#3909 by koehn
Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:19 am
skiptio wrote:Here is the answer. My current land line is through Comcast. Aparently Comcast phone service is VoIP though they don't tell you that. I was trying to use the existing number instead of getting a new temporarty one. That doesn't work with Comcast. Ooma gave me a new temporary number and everything works fine.

I too have Comcast, but I was aware from the getgo that it's VOIP (although they don't use your internet connection to route the signal; they have a separate band on their cable network for voice).

In any case, I use my existing Comcast number with Ooma and it works just fine. My guess is that the Ooma is sending a seven digit number out your land line, and needs to be updated to dial a ten digit number. Or, just get a temp number and have your comcast line forward to it as recommended above.