Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#59112 by virgusa
Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:15 pm
I just installed Ooma Core yesterday. Works fine. I am awaiting porting of my number. After porting has been done I will not need to use the wall jack. Is that correct.

Right now I have the wall jack plugged into the Core system. It will not work unless that is done.

I don't know what to do with the Scout as I do not have another wall jack.
#59113 by southsound
Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:33 pm
<<post edited - I must have been very tired when I wrote my original response. See my later response below.>>

After your port, you will be able to access all of the features of your new system and can use your scout in another room or even in the same room if you would like to power either a wired or cordless 2-line phone. Until then, some things will not work (see my signature about integrated landlines for a snapshot of my opinion on the matter).

In the meantime, enjoy your system. Welcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:
Last edited by southsound on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
#59116 by virgusa
Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:21 am
I have Cable Modem for my Internet and Verizon for my telephone service.

I have the Ooma Hub "Wall" connected to my wall phone jack and Panasonic Dect 6 phone base plugged in to the "Phone" on the Ooma. If I use a splitter on the phone jack and connect to the Hub and to the Scout they have the same phone connection. If I use a splitter to connect the Scout and the Hub they have the same phone connection. Is there some way to use the Ooma supplied number and my Veriozon number with only one working Verizon phone jack?
#59125 by southsound
Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:02 am
I've modified my earlier response to your post. I must have been very tired when I wrote the original. Since you have an integrated landline with your local phone company I don't see a reliable way to use your scout at this time. Maybe others can give more hope. The scout uses a networking protocol called HPNA and can travel over a line that shares ooma dialtone. I just don't think you can mix the utility dialtone with HPNA and get good results. I could be very mistaken. :o
#59139 by virgusa
Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:21 pm
Ah, thank you for clearing that up on the Scout.

One more question please.

After my number has been ported to Ooma will I need to disconnect Verizon from wiring coming into my home?
#59188 by southsound
Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:25 am
virgusa wrote:Ah, thank you for clearing that up on the Scout.

One more question please.

After my number has been ported to Ooma will I need to disconnect Verizon from wiring coming into my home?

It is always best. Since you don't have DSL you can just go to the Network Interface Box outside the house and disconnect the little modular plugs - either by just unpluging or by swinging them out of the way, depending on the box. This will prevent a lot of problems.

After you are free from the telco connection, you can use the single line splitter I talked about to connect both the PHONE and WALL jacks on the hub to your homes wiring using a nearby wall jack. Then you can have either ooma dialtone (from the hub) or access to the instant second line or second number at any jack where the scout is plugged in. The ooma dialtone and HPNA used by the scout play very nicely together.
#59189 by virgusa
Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:56 am
Thank you so much. I think I am all set now. All my questions have been answered and I understand how it will work now. :D :D
#59450 by bw1
Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:20 am
FYI, you can use a Scout with a landline dialtone on your house wiring, but you would need another wall jack somewhere else in the house to connect the Scout to.

This is the way the original system was designed - you plug the Hub into your cable modem, a phone into the phone port, the wall port into a wall jack. Then you plug the scout wall port into another wall jack and a phone into the Scout's phone port.

You then can make long-distance calls over Ooma and have access to the Instant Second Line, Ooma voicemail, call screening, etc. from either phone (connected to the Hub or Scout). 911 and local calls will still go over the landline.

If you have DSL, then it gets more complicated.