Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#59059 by Spartacus
Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:42 pm
I'm traveling to Europe for a week with my ooma and wanted to know if it would be okay to use the supplied AC adapter with a common voltage converter (like this : http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Voltage-Po ... B001AHTEEU ) .

Secondly, why does ooma supply a 12 VOLT - 1 AMP adapter , when the the AMP requirement is only 200mA ?

I tested the supplied AC adapter and it actually puts out 14 VOLTS..........not 12V . :?
#59069 by leejosepho
Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:56 am
Spartacus wrote:I'm traveling to Europe for a week with my ooma and wanted to know if it would be okay to use the supplied AC adapter with a common voltage converter ...

As long as the converter's output is greater than the demand of the device being supplied, all should be well.

Spartacus wrote:Secondly, why does ooma supply a 12 VOLT - 1 AMP adapter , when the the AMP requirement is only 200mA ?

Probably to be sure the device being supplied gets all it needs.

Spartacus wrote:I tested the supplied AC adapter and it actually puts out 14 VOLTS..........not 12V . :?

Volts X Amps = Watts, and the meter you used likely did not place any significant amperage on the adapter. As the load goes up, the voltage does down.
#59882 by leejosepho
Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:54 am
Sure, and it would likely still work all the way down to 10 or even less. The last I knew, an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) only actually sends out around 90 volts when running on its battery even though a computer "requires" 120. Think of water pressure in the shower: A typical municipal water system might normally run at 60 psi, but you can still get a nice shower when that pressure occasionally or situationally drops to 40.
#59890 by murphy
Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:02 am
leejosepho wrote:Sure, and it would likely still work all the way down to 10 or even less. The last I knew, an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) only actually sends out around 90 volts when running on its battery even though a computer "requires" 120. Think of water pressure in the shower: A typical municipal water system might normally run at 60 psi, but you can still get a nice shower when that pressure occasionally or situationally drops to 40.

My APC UPSs put out 120 volts. They generate true sine wave power. The cheaper UPS designs that generate triangular waves have an unknown voltage because you can't measure it correctly with a meter that is expecting sine waves.