Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#58688 by owen_yuen
Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:49 pm
Hi all:
I just bought a Ooma Core & try install it at home. I did activate online & now I should setup my ooma VOIP at home.

But if I want keep my landline number & phone (Uniden) a while before I porting my landline number to Ooma. According to the setup, should I connect my (Uniden) phone to Ooma hardware or just let it stay & no change.

Many Thanks
#58692 by DTMF
Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:40 pm
The answer depends on where you want to be able to answer each line. I plugged a standalone cordless phone into the Ooma box before I ported my number and kept the multi-receiver Uniden connected to the landline. Most incoming calls came to the landline number, so I answered them on the phone with receivers all over the house.

After the port was complete, I plugged the Uniden cordless phone into the Ooma box, until the wiring changes were complete to connect the Ooma service to all of the wall jacks around the house. Once that happened, I plugged a 2-line splitter into the Ooma box and sent one output to the wall jack (to feed all of the wall jacks) and the other to the Uniden phone.
#58700 by owen_yuen
Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:13 pm
Thanks DTMF:
I have a question if U don't mind.

If I connect like DSL modem --> Wirless Router --> OOma instead of DSL modem --> OOma --> Wireless Router.

Should the cable from Wireless Router plug into <Home> at the back of the OOma. Then, will the Ooma will automatic config itself then. I know other people just took 15 min easy setup but for me , ... stil not finish yet :?

By the way, I did read the manuel.
#58702 by owen_yuen
Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:23 pm
Never mind:
It works now. Sound is pretty clear comparing landline. I will work for few weeks before I port my home number to ooma.

By the way, thanks all