Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#58366 by clp98
Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:48 am
I was shocked that the real price was $3.45 a month, something not advertised. I was setting up for 65 year old mother who is considering dropping land line. This was a near deal breaker. It is the unscrupulousness of ATT and verizon--the suprise charges--that is real reason for dropping ATT for home and Verizon for cell service!!!!!!!!!!!! Now OOma is showing signs of same behaviour.

My question is based on this review http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10157/1063322-96.stm where they say that you are automatically billed for premier service unless you cancel (first two months free).

Now, you are talking senior citizens with jitter bug cell phones, because they don't like fancy email, text, phone books, forwarding. These extras are considered reasons to disconnect the service, as they befuddle, confuse, and suck up precious time learning. Also, reasons to bill more money--the elderly have great life perspective...really.

So, is this true, "we must call to cancel the premiere?
#58368 by allo
Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:17 am
clp98 wrote:I was shocked that the real price was $3.45 a month, something not advertised. I was setting up for 65 year old mother who is considering dropping land line. This was a near deal breaker. It is the unscrupulousness of ATT and verizon--the suprise charges--that is real reason for dropping ATT for home and Verizon for cell service!!!!!!!!!!!! Now OOma is showing signs of same behaviour.

My question is based on this review http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10157/1063322-96.stm where they say that you are automatically billed for premier service unless you cancel (first two months free).

Now, you are talking senior citizens with jitter bug cell phones, because they don't like fancy email, text, phone books, forwarding. These extras are considered reasons to disconnect the service, as they befuddle, confuse, and suck up precious time learning. Also, reasons to bill more money--the elderly have great life perspective...really.

Relax! Those $3.45 are for various taxes ... not for OOMA... they have no choice but pass it on to the consumers.
If you have a beef, address it to the various agencies which mandate those taxes!
Really... there is no such a thing as a free lunch!.. who ever told you otherwise is trying to fool you!
#58377 by bw1
Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:12 am
You can opt out of Premier at any time during the 60 day free trial without affecting your free trial. When I saw it last, it was as simple as clicking a button on the Account Service page on my.ooma.

If you don't opt out, Ooma will begin charging the credit card on file $9.99 per month. You then have to cancel by calling customer service.

This applies to current Telo activations.
#58378 by southsound
Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:25 am
clp98 wrote:I was shocked that the real price was $3.45 a month, something not advertised. I was setting up for 65 year old mother who is considering dropping land line. This was a near deal breaker. It is the unscrupulousness of ATT and verizon--the suprise charges--that is real reason for dropping ATT for home and Verizon for cell service!!!!!!!!!!!! Now OOma is showing signs of same behaviour.

I never thought of myself as a "senior" or elderly person except when ordering at Denny's. I'm just behind your mom (64 this last March). As allow and bw1 stated, it is easy to opt out on the website and you could do this for her. No learning curve involved. She'll never have to change it again. I also think that she will love the service once she has had it running for a while. Our local telco, Qwest, charges $20 for unlimited long distance - plus about $8.50 in taxes and fees for the phone line. That is in addition to the cost of the line itself. She gets both the line and domestic long distance for free. She will also have free voicemail (which costs about $8 with Qwest) and free Caller ID (numbers only) which is almost $9 with Qwest. You can get a Qwest package that gives you 3 features for $20 instead. Lots of cost that she will NOT have with ooma. So I believe she will be saving money and getting great service. Thank you for helping her out with her system! Now if she only makes a few calls on her cell and you are willing to do some additional work to save her money, PM me and I can tell you how I've been paying only $5.50 a month for my cell service.

(I am not an employee of ooma or any cell service and do not have any financial connection with any of the above.)
#58383 by sfhub
Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:04 am

Do you have a Ooma Core (hub+scout) or an Ooma Telo?

The Ooma Core (hub+scout) has no monthly fees and you are automatically opted out of Premiere after the trial period.

The current Ooma Telo has the $3.xx monthly taxes and the manual opt out of Premiere. An earlier Ooma Telo had $11.75 yearly taxes after the first year.

In my experience Ooma marks the pricing terms on the box for the product and honors what they marketed for that particular batch even if they have changed their pricing for new models.

So look on your box. That is what you will pay.
#58385 by sfhub
Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:11 am
allo wrote:Relax! Those $3.45 are for various taxes ... not for OOMA... they have no choice but pass it on to the consumers.
Really... there is no such a thing as a free lunch!.. who ever told you otherwise is trying to fool you!

They actually do have a choice, but have decided it makes more business sense to pass it on to the consumer.

There is however such a thing as a pre-paid lunch.