Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#58336 by 00aas
Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:14 pm
Hi all,
a) this forum is outstanding- I've read quite a bit and am really amazed at how helpful you all are. Thank you in advance and Kudos to all the information on this.

b) ok- here's the setup (I bought a Core a while ago).: Verizon DSL it's a modem/router all-in-one, so I have to plug the Ooma Hub into the router. Ooma Hub goes straight into a digital cordless phone, and it works great- crystal, perfect. The DSL modem/router is in the study on the second floor of the house. I haven't unpacked the Scout, so don't know if it works, but I'm assuming it's ok...

The house, however, has it's own built-in PBX network, using a Panasonic KX-TA624 analog PBX station and 3 phone lines. And now I'm wondering whether I can distribute the Hub and Scout to all 24 phones on the PBX network using the PBX station. Unfortunately it is located in the basement, (3 floors below). I've read in a prior post the success someone had with simply plugging their Hub into the CO1 line of the KX-TA824 and the Scout into the CO2 line, and stopping the auto-search function, and it working beautifully (distributing Ooma to all the 24 base stations around their house with 2 lines)... I don't believe the KX-TA624 has auto-search, so it should be fine to just plug it in, but my first question is everyone is-- anyone else plug their Ooma into the Panny KX-TA624?

I would like to try that, however, here's my second issue: my modem/router is upstairs and the PBX station is three flights down. I can either keep the modem/router and Hub and Scout upstairs in the study and run phone lines all the way down into the KX-TA624, or I can keep the modem/router upstairs and run two ethernet wires all the way down and put the Hub / Scout right next to the KX-TA624. Or I can ask Verizon to move their DSL jack into the basement so I can put the modem/router right there next to the PBX station (but then I would have no wireless access anywhere in the house except the basement, which is the least preferable option here...).

Any suggestions? what is the max length for the ethernet cords? what is the max length for the telephone cords?
thanks so much, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
-A
#58354 by southsound
Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:13 pm
I would recommend keeping the hub/scout near the current modem location and just running a new cable down to the PBX - unless there are two free pairs on the cable that goes from that room to the PBX's punchdown block. The house was probably wired with Cat 5 wiring which means that there will be 4 pairs in the cable. One for the PBX station, another for the DSL modem - and that might leave two for your ooma system. One pair for the hub and one for the scout. I run my phone wiring out to a barn that is about 300' away and have no degradation in quality - either from the landline or the Telo that replaced it. Also, don't have any fears about using the ooma to supply dialtone to your PBX. It should work great!

By the way... Welcome to ooma and to the forum! You're going to like it here! :P