Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#58313 by jpainter
Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:14 am
My DSL ISP is now charging $7.00 per month to lease their modem/router. That is insane, so I've decided to purchase my own equipment.

Would I be better to purchase a separate DSL modem and router, or will one of the high end combination Modem/router boxes with QoS ability work just as well :?: I'm considering the Linksys WAG320N - a Dual-Band Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Gigabit Router. Is anyone using this?

Since we don't use the DSL provider for land line service anymore, another question is "Would cable broadband provide significantly better service"? I'd hate to change email accounts etc unless I knew for sure that the switch from DSL to cable would provide significantly better OOMA/internet performance.

Thanks for the input!
Jean Painter
#58317 by ibradly
Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:23 am
While I feel I can't really comment on the DSL vs. Cable broadband because it's been so long since I've used a DSL connection, I do remember that when I switched over from DSL I was generally more satisfied with the cable connection. With that said, you might want to read some reviews of users who are using the cable company you are thinking about switching to over at http://broadbandreports.com/

With regards to purchasing an all-in-one modem/router combo, my personal opinion is against combo devices. I like having the flexibility to upgrade one or the other as newer tech comes out. Also, if you do decide to switch away from DSL and you had the modem/router combo wouldn't you then have to buy a new router anyway? Again, just my personal opinion and food for thought. But you're right about paying $7.00/month to lease the ISP's equipment, that's crazy. ;-)
#58318 by leejosepho
Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:28 am
jpainter wrote:Would I be better to purchase a separate DSL modem and router, or will one of the high end combination Modem/router boxes with QoS ability work just as well :?:

Personally, I prefer having the modem and router separate, and I have my Telo behind the router. Right now I am connected to AT&T with a Westell 6100 Verizon-branded modem and an old Kingston router, and those pieces together are giving me better speeds and more setup options than the new AT&T 2Wire 2701 integrated modem/router that came with my DSL.

jpainter wrote:Since we don't use the DSL provider for land line service anymore, another question is "Would cable broadband provide significantly better service"?

That can depend upon what you mean by "significantly better". Your speeds might be higher if that has been a problem, or, one might have a better line quality than the other. But, DSL and cable each recently had some interrupted service on the same day here where I happen to live.

jpainter wrote:I'd hate to change email accounts etc unless I knew for sure that the switch from DSL to cable would provide significantly better OOMA/internet performance.

One way to avoid the email problem is to never have an email account with an ISP. HotMail just happens to be the service I have always used, and I began doing that even before I ever had an ISP ... and now I can "take it with me" wherever I go and never be concerned about what might happen to my email if I change ISPs.
#58325 by jpainter
Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:13 pm
I don't see many plain DSL modems (without routers) around any more. What are important features in a DSL modem to look for?
#58363 by leejosepho
Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:12 am
My own experience with "plain" DSL modems is limited to Westell, and I will likely always stick with those unless/until someone might show me some reason/s to do differently. The one I am presently using has a firewall amd a great variety of settings that can be customized, and I have it giving my Telo completely-free passage in and out without compromising security for my home network.