Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#59041 by jbedics
Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 pm
Ok, so upon some further troubleshooting it appears as though the issue is definately related to the Telo talking directly to my cable modem (Motorola Surfboard 5101). If I put a switch between the Telo and the cable modem (with nothing else plugged into it) I get my full upstream/downstream speed as expected. I'm thinking it could be a duplex/speed mismatch between the cable modem and the Telo, but I don't see where I can configure either of those settings on either device. I can run with this setup (at least I get my full bandwidth and QoS), but it seems kind of sloppy to me. Any suggestions?

--Jim
#59419 by murphy
Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:07 pm
jbedics wrote:Again, just a quick question. Is there anyway to adjust the speed/duplex settings of the ethernet ports on the Telo?

--Jim

No, they are standard 10/100 automatic ports.
#59950 by crs
Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:36 am
jbedics wrote:Ok, so upon some further troubleshooting it appears as though the issue is definately related to the Telo talking directly to my cable modem (Motorola Surfboard 5101). If I put a switch between the Telo and the cable modem (with nothing else plugged into it) I get my full upstream/downstream speed as expected. I'm thinking it could be a duplex/speed mismatch between the cable modem and the Telo, but I don't see where I can configure either of those settings on either device.

This sounds similar to a problem I saw when installing my Telo yesterday. My internet connection allows downloading at about 6Mb/s, and my router's internet-facing Ethernet port is 10Mb/s half-duplex. With the Telo connected between the router and cable model, the download bandwidth (through the Telo) dropped from 6Mb/s to about 1Mb/s (and the router started complaining about late collision errors, which I haven't seen before or since). However, when I connect the Telo to my router via a 100Mb/s Ethernet switch, the download bandwidth through the Telo stays at about 6Mb/s. So, there appears to be a bug in how the Telo handles its network-facing Ethernet port when connected to a 10Mb/s half-duplex interface.
#60071 by fergyde1
Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:27 am
My drop off is rather dramatic. Modem, Telo, router my speed is 2.1mb download and 1.1mb up. If I connect modem, router, Telo my normal speed occurs 13.5mb download and 2.6mb up. My Telo phone seem to work fine via of the router connection. Has anyone exprienced a problem with this?
#60073 by southsound
Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:40 am
fergyde1 wrote:My drop off is rather dramatic. Modem, Telo, router my speed is 2.1mb download and 1.1mb up. If I connect modem, router, Telo my normal speed occurs 13.5mb download and 2.6mb up. My Telo phone seem to work fine via of the router connection. Has anyone exprienced a problem with this?

Many of us use our ooma system after the router without problems. If you do a HUGE amount of downloading, you can adjust the router's QoS to give priority to voip. In case you have not done so, you might want to go to setup.ooma.com (you will need to be connected to the Home Network port of the Telo to reach it unless you have set up port forwarding in the Telo) and change the default Automatic MAC address to Use Built in MAC address.
#60087 by Lakeo
Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:55 pm
So, other than changing the ooma to use the built in Mac Address, will the ooma automatically boot up and connect when it is used after the router. Or,are there other changes that need to be made? I'd like to try that configuration and run some speed tests.
#60117 by bw1
Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:04 am
You shouldn't need to do anything to configure your router, just unplug modem, router and Telo and then plug each of them in one at a time while waiting for each to boot up.
#60118 by Lakeo
Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:01 am
Thanks bw1.

Hooked the ooma behind the router this AM. Also have two computers hooked to the router. Set the up and down speeds on QOS setup to zero. Everything booted up fine.

Can't say I saw much of a change in speed. I have cable, so it varies, but runs about 2.5 up and 15 down.

One thing I did notice. I have a new Motorola SB6120 DOCIS 3.0 modem. (Going to move my old Motorola modem to our RV) With the ooma between the modem and router, the "Link" light flashed amber which according to the manual means, "A device or computer or hub is connected via the Ethernet (10Base-T) or fast Ethernet (100Base-T) port." With the ooma after the router, It now blinks blue, indicting, "High-speed Gigabit Ethernet connection from SB6120 to your PC."

I'm a real novice on this Network Stuff, but I gather that I now have faster speed on the wired part of my network, which again according to the manual results in "lag free gaming and faster file transfer." I don't do either, other then occasional network printing, so that won't make any difference to me. Could be important to some users however.