Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#58007 by jbedics
Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:33 pm
Hi, I've had my Telo for about a month now and am extremely happy with it. Recently though, I noticed that my internet download speeds had dropped off significantly. I have a 7Mbps/800Kbps cable modem connection, but over the past few weeks was getting less than 1Mbps download speeds (did a speed test directly off of my ISP). At first I chalked it up to my ISP, but then I did a little investigating.

If I have the Telo in-line (like I have since day 1):
(cable modem ---> Telo ---> Router ---> Computer) I get ~1 Mbps/800Kbps speeds

If move the Telo to hang off of the router:
(cable modem ---> Router ----> Telo and Computer) I get ~7 Mbps/800Kbps speeds like I should

I thought perhaps the QoS settings were causing the problem, but I only had the Upload QoS enabled for 512k. I reset it to 0 and rebooted the Telo (unplug, wait, plug back in) and I still got the same results. Next I did a reset on the Telo (holding the Stop and Trash buttons at the appropriate time during startup). I verified the Telo did go back to factory (the Upload QoS was automatically reset back to 384k), but again, no joy.

As soon as I move the Telo behind the router everything opens back up to full speed. It occurs to me that I first started noticing the problem around the time the latest firmware was released. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is there anything else I can try? I'd like to get the Telo back in-line so I can use the QoS, but not if it is going to choke my connection that badly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

--Jim
#58015 by jbedics
Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:28 pm
Yes, I already changed that from Automatic to Use Built-in. Also no change in performance. Like I said, the strangest thing is that this worked perfectly fine a few weeks back and nothing was changed in the setup. The only thing that I can find changed was the firmware update to the Telo.
#58016 by tommies
Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:17 pm
jbedics wrote:Yes, I already changed that from Automatic to Use Built-in. Also no change in performance. Like I said, the strangest thing is that this worked perfectly fine a few weeks back and nothing was changed in the setup. The only thing that I can find changed was the firmware update to the Telo.

That's probably it. The QoS on the telo is known to have problem at time.
I have my telo behind the router and let the router handles the QoS. It works nicely for me.
#58025 by leejosepho
Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:09 pm
jbedics wrote:... I did a reset on the Telo (holding the Stop and Trash buttons at the appropriate time during startup).

Please pardon me for butting in here, and I do not in any way mean to be scolding you. Rather, new folks should be cautioned (as was I) to not do that unless specifically directed by Customer Support to do so ... and even then the customer will be told a factory reset can cause permanent degradation within.
#58029 by southsound
Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 pm
leejosepho wrote:Please pardon me for butting in here, and I do not in any way mean to be scolding you. Rather, new folks should be cautioned (as was I) to not do that unless specifically directed by Customer Support to do so ... and even then the customer will be told a factory reset can cause permanent degradation within.

There are times when a reset of the system is the best way to solve some problems and get things working again. Most of the frequent posters on the forum are familiar with when and how to do this and recommend it when appropriate.
#58079 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:21 pm
leejosepho was probably thinking of this?

ntoy wrote:In the early days, unplugging power on the device while an upgrade was in progress may have corrupted the firmware.
Now, software has improved with safety nets. But, sometimes it is hard to predict behavior with software/hardware.

It would be best to leave the device powered without interruption unless otherwise instructed by support.

BTW, I had a good laugh on the previous exchange. Don't mean any disrespect but I looked at it light heartedly I guess.
#58085 by southsound
Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:02 pm
lbmofo wrote: BTW, I had a good laugh on the previous exchange. Don't mean any disrespect but I looked at it light heartedly I guess.

My post was made in jest - but when I realized that it offended another forum member, I edited out anything that could be considered demeaning. Something I read just the other day, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Sounds like wise advice that I strive to follow. :cool:
#58115 by leejosepho
Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:32 pm
southsound wrote:There are times when a reset of the system is the best way to solve some problems and get things working again.

Certainly, and I first learned about a "factory reset" when a customer-service rep had me do one and stayed with me until whatever had been wrong had been resolved.

southsound wrote:Most of the frequent posters on the forum are familiar with when and how to do this and recommend it when appropriate.

No problem there, and my caution was not in any way directed at such folks. Rather, I was thinking more of people like myself (if there are any) who eventually ended up doing so many resets on my own while blindly tweaking around inside my Telo (via "setup") that one of the Ooma engineers expressed concern to me about possible/potential damage/degradation. So overall, I highly suggest only performing a "factory reset" when either the Telo owner or some other knowledgeable person knows for a fact one truly must be done.