Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#57552 by rpgman456
Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:25 pm
I am a new ooma telo customer as I just purchased my unit 3 weeks ago. So far everything is working excellent, my home phone number was successfully ported over from AT&T and I followed the directions for home distribution (removing the wires from the punch block in my garage and splicing green with green and red with red) and all jacks are live with ooma dial-tone.

I have a home office in the downstairs of my home. My question is: would it be recommended to purchase a second Telo device to hook up with my home office number. I have been pondering this situation in my head and would like some advice from someone with some technical experience on the matter. (1) is my actual setup, (2) is my theoretical second setup:

(1) Cable jack in wall > Cable modem > Ooma Telo (ooma set up for home distribution) > Linksys WRT54G wireless G router.

(2) In downstairs: Second WRT54G Linksys wireless router (using DD-WRT firmware, running in repeater bridge mode within range of first router) > Second Ooma Telo.

If this setup will work, would it be advised? Would the second Ooma be compromised because it is not directly connected to a modem? Any feedback is appreciated.
#57612 by daet
Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:32 am
rpgman456 wrote:(1) Cable jack in wall > Cable modem > Ooma Telo (ooma set up for home distribution) > Linksys WRT54G wireless G router.

(2) In downstairs: Second WRT54G Linksys wireless router (using DD-WRT firmware, running in repeater bridge mode within range of first router) > Second Ooma Telo

Our Telo is connected to a non-gateway WDS node also using DD-WRT on a WRT54G-TM (i.e. similar to a DD-WRT repeater bridge). Works perfectly well. The radio is set in 802.11g-only mode and the wireless TX power is 56 mW. Under these conditions the wireless rate is a steady 54 Mbps. The Telo is the only wired device connected to the WRT54G-TM, although other "roaming" wireless devices sometimes are.

Two other points that may be useful: a) configure the Telo to have a statically assigned IP address, because b) it makes it easier to configure QoS on the WAN-connected router to prioritize Telo-traffic, and reserve bandwidth for the Telo.
#57620 by rpgman456
Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:49 am
daet, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Right now I am debating option A or B for my scenario:

A: WRT54G (running DD-WRT in Repeater Bridge mode) > Ooma Telo (with new Ooma phone# and 2-3 long standing business numbers ported over as "virtual numbers" which is a service I believe Ooma provides for $5 per month per line. And just keeping my separate fax number with AT&T (when speaking with Ooma customer service, I was told faxes "work most of the time with their device," to me that doesn't provide total assurance on the matter).

OR

B: WRT54G (running DD-WRT in Repeater Bridge mode) > Ooma Hub (with ported virtual numbers) & Scout (used to port over and use with existing Fax number).

Anyone who has experience with Ooma's virtual numbers service, running a FAX line through a scout, or just advice on which road to go down (Telo or Hub) and can provide feedback, this would be greatly appreciated.
#57621 by murphy
Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:19 am
FAX will not work through a scout. The FAX machine must be connected to the hub.
If you have Premier service, two phone numbers are included.
Additional virtual numbers are available but no matter how many you have, up to the limit, only two phone calls can be in progress at the same time. One on the hub and the other one on the scout.
#57954 by rpgman456
Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:58 am
Okay, so with the knowledge now that a FAX cannot work with a scout, I now have the difficult decision on whether or not to get an Ooma hub with scout and hook up the hub with the FAX number and the scout with my office line... Or purchase a Telo for the office line and keep the FAX with AT&T. I'm paying $200 a month for this ludicrous AT&T setup right now so just keeping the FAX will drop it under $50. If you were in my shoes what would you do? Thanks for the advice...
#57979 by tommies
Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:36 pm
rpgman456 wrote:Okay, so with the knowledge now that a FAX cannot work with a scout, I now have the difficult decision on whether or not to get an Ooma hub with scout and hook up the hub with the FAX number and the scout with my office line... Or purchase a Telo for the office line and keep the FAX with AT&T. I'm paying $200 a month for this ludicrous AT&T setup right now so just keeping the FAX will drop it under $50. If you were in my shoes what would you do? Thanks for the advice...

It's all depended on the volume. Maybe the ATT fax line will be best for you, or any of the e-fax option out there. I only do fax a few times a year so I can't tell how good the telo/hub will be with a high volume fax line.