Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#57494 by EagleAl
Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:49 am
I just purchased the Ooma Telo, and am trying to install it in a vacation rental property. The installation was no problem, and I was able to make a call when hooked directly to the Ooma. However, when I tried to use a splitter to run a line back to a wall jack to activate the rest of the house, I encounterd a problem. A phone in a different room had a dial tone and I was able to make a call. However, when I hung up the phone and tried to make a second call, I received a pulsating tone similar to the one you receive when a handset is left off the hook. I had to reboot the system to solve this issue. I originally had telephone service, then changed to a bundled package from the cable company for internet, phone, and cable. I have disabled the telephone modem from the cable company before I started the install. Since the house is on 3 levels, I would realy like to have all phone active. I have also tried running a line from the "Phone" plug directly to the wall jack. This worked in that the telephone in the other room became active, but in a short time even without use, the pulsating tone again appeared.

I have read the forums for a few hours, and have also talked to tech support more than a few times. All in all, I think I'm more confused than when I first started. I also don't understand what the "Wall" plug on the Ooma is for,since they have told me to use the splitter on the "Phone" plug, then run one line to the phone and the other to the wall jack.

I have also looked inside the phone box, and the incoming wires are connected to each other, not with rj11 plugs. I am afraid to cut any wires, since I don't want a bigger problem than I already have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
#57499 by leejosepho
Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:03 am
EagleAl wrote:All in all, I think I'm more confused than when I first started. I also don't understand what the "Wall" plug on the Ooma is for,since they have told me to use the splitter on the "Phone" plug, then run one line to the phone and the other to the wall jack.

I have also looked inside the phone box, and the incoming wires are connected to each other, not with rj11 plugs. I am afraid to cut any wires, since I don't want a bigger problem than I already have.

First, the "Wall" connection on the back of the Telo is where you would connect the Telo to an existing land line for integration purposes. Just stay away from that one.

The "Phone" connection on the back of the Telo is where you can connect a regular phone to the Telo so you can make a call. Any phone that will plug into a typical wall jack will do.

In order to use your Telo to make the entire house "live", you must first be sure the phone wiring in the house is completely isolated from any other service connection. There must be no incoming line from the street connected, and the house wiring cannot be being used by any other service. At that point, you should be able to use a typical phone cord to patch the Telo to the house wiring, then plug a phone into any house jack and access the Telo.
#57507 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:33 am
Someone else had a similar problem and later found a phone in the house off the hook or some phone wire junction box inside the house with loose connections.

Also, if you haven't enabled 10 digit dialing on "my ooma" website, when you try to dial area code on a number with same area code as your ooma number, you'll get a fast busy signal.

If you are not sure if your house wiring is disconnected from the telephone company, you should check that out and make sure your house wiring is isolated. viewtopic.php?t=6853
#57523 by stephen431
Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 am
lbmofo wrote:If you are not sure if your house wiring is disconnected from the telephone company, you should check that out and make sure your house wiring is isolated. viewtopic.php?t=6853

Since he had phone service through his cable provider via cable voice modem, would his phone wiring already be isolated?

I'm only familiar with Cox digital phone service. When they installed my phone service, the Qwest phone box was completely removed from the side of my house. Activating whole-house dial tone was as simple as disconnecting the phone jack from my cable voice modem & plugging it into the Telo.

@Eagle Al:
My suggestion would be to unplug all the other phones in the house, & reconnect them 1 by 1 to see if you can replicate the problem.
The "Wall" jack doesn't really do what you would think it should. It's only used for a certain type of installation that I'm 99% sure you didn't choose (since you're disconnecting your existing phone service), so just pretend it doesn't exist.

Is your Telo plugged into a power strip by chance?
#57673 by EagleAl
Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:24 pm
Thank you to everyone who offered advice on my issue. As I was wrapping up my modem to return to Charter Cable, I noticed that in the back of the modem was an RJ11 plug. Although the modem had no power, the existing RJ11 plug prevented the unit from working correctly. As soon as it was unplugged, I reinstalled the splitter and found that I now had a dial tone on all 5 phones.

Sorry for the confusion, but I hope my mess-up helps another newbee or two during the process.

Thanks again, and sorry for wasting your time.
#57674 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:29 pm
EagleAl wrote:Thank you to everyone who offered advice on my issue. As I was wrapping up my modem to return to Charter Cable, I noticed that in the back of the modem was an RJ11 plug. Although the modem had no power, the existing RJ11 plug prevented the unit from working correctly. As soon as it was unplugged, I reinstalled the splitter and found that I now had a dial tone on all 5 phones.

Sorry for the confusion, but I hope my mess-up helps another newbee or two during the process.

Thanks again, and sorry for wasting your time.

Good for future reference. Thanks. Glad your situation is resolved.