Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#57364 by Ian
Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:13 pm
Hello all!
I'm new here so I would like to ask for some help if I may?
For some reason, I thought the phone didn't need to be plugged into the home wall phone jack at all, but just into the Telo.
During the final stage of installation, I found this out and have a very big dilemma. One easiest way is to return the thing and get the money back...! Two, buy some long phone cable and do work through the attic and walls.
The problem is all my internet cable and router are upstair, and I have two phone jacks and they are both downstair in the kitchen and master bedroom. My question to you all is if I were to find two really long phone line and ran both of them from the Telo, through the attic and down between the wall to reach the kitchen (approx under 20 yards), would it work? My concern is that the distance may create issues with call quality and even no call at all?! Yes, no?!
I would like very much to make it work somehow because I'd hate to take the easy route while not knowing the possibilities. And are there any options of getting it to work beside running the phone cables and punching holes through sheetrock?
Please advise and thank you in advance
-Ian
#57366 by murphy
Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:51 pm
Call customer service and ask them to convert your account to the mode that does not integrate a landline with your box.
They will issue you a temporary phone number. In this mode you leave the Wall port empty and connect a phone to the Phone port.
#57391 by Ian
Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:43 am
Wow, if this works, it would help tremendously! All wire running through the walls and attic seems like a big hassle in this Southern Heat :shock:
Thanks a lot!
#57394 by leejosepho
Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:33 am
Ian wrote:... all my internet cable and router are upstair, and I have two phone jacks and they are both downstair in the kitchen and master bedroom. My question to you all is if I were to find two really long phone line and ran both of them from the Telo, through the attic and down between the wall to reach the kitchen (approx under 20 yards), would it work?

What configuration are you trying to achieve? If you do not need/want your land line upstairs but you do want your Ooma available downstairs, you can either plug a wireless phone into the Telo's "Phone" port and/or run a single phone line down and connect it at "Line 2" in one of your phone jacks downstairs (and that will likely get it to both of them). Personally, that is what I have. My land line is connected in my house normally, then the Telo's "Phone" port feeds the house wiring as "Line 2".
#57418 by Ian
Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:25 am
leejosepho wrote:
Ian wrote:... all my internet cable and router are upstair, and I have two phone jacks and they are both downstair in the kitchen and master bedroom. My question to you all is if I were to find two really long phone line and ran both of them from the Telo, through the attic and down between the wall to reach the kitchen (approx under 20 yards), would it work?

What configuration are you trying to achieve? If you do not need/want your land line upstairs but you do want your Ooma available downstairs, you can either plug a wireless phone into the Telo's "Phone" port and/or run a single phone line down and connect it at "Line 2" in one of your phone jacks downstairs (and that will likely get it to both of them). Personally, that is what I have. My land line is connected in my house normally, then the Telo's "Phone" port feeds the house wiring as "Line 2".

Well, I don't have any land line outlet upstair at all, I have two and they are both downstair. The Ooma Telo is upstair because this is where I have all of my router, cable modem and pc etc. Naturally, I hooked the Telo upstair and realized that there is no landline phonejack to complete the installation :(
I have a decent panasonic cordless phone I'm planning to use with the Telo, but without running two really long phone cable to and from the Telo from the phone jacks downstair...this is the problem I am facing :?
Beside calling Ooma support like the previous poster recommend, I don't know of any other option...HELP!
p.s. I do plan to call them as soon as they come to work in the west coast!
#57422 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:59 am
murphy wrote:Call customer service and ask them to convert your account to the mode that does not integrate a landline with your box.
They will issue you a temporary phone number. In this mode you leave the Wall port empty and connect a phone to the Phone port.

Go with what murphy suggested.