Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#57149 by AzJazz
Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:26 pm
I have an ooma Telo set up between my cable modem and my system router.

I am having a problem where an application on my PC (GigaTribe) can't log onto the GigaTribe server. It looks to me like the port is blocked, and GigaTribe thinks it is firewalled. If I connect directly without going through the ooma, GigaTribe works fine.

How can I fix this problem? Do I need to do something with a static IP address for the Telo, and put it behind the router?

AzJazz
#57227 by AzJazz
Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:48 am
bw1 - I tried to do the port forwarding, but the Telo refused.

My home network is in the 192.168.1.xxx range. The Telo is in the 172.27.xxx.xxx range.

My suspicion is this:

If I change the Telo DHCP configuration to the 192.168.1.xxx range, it could really mess things up for my home network, since there could be IP assignment conflicts with my router assigning addresses in the same range.

Also, I'll admit that I'm a little nervous that I may need to change the Telo "Home Port" setting, which then could result in my being unable to get to the setup.ooma.com configuration page.

BUT, things are even worse: I also found that I can't get to Vuze anymore (a P2P networking client). If I do succeed with the Port Forward through the Telo, and then try to connect to Vuze, can I "burn up" the Telo when there is a constant 20+ Mbps data rate run through it with multiple IP connections? I know many of the old Netgear Routers would overheat when heavy Vuze traffic was rammed through them.

Help, anyone?

AzJazz
#57228 by southsound
Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:06 am
Why not put your Telo AFTER your router? Then you can just set QoS on your router to resere the adequate speeds for your Telo. I don't have a very large pipe (1.5mbps down, 768kbps up) and I have no problems that way. Of course, you have a lot of other traffic on your network so I would recommend the QoS settings in your router to insure good voice quality.
#57234 by AzJazz
Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:40 am
SouthSound - Wouldn't the QoS setting only be guaranteed to work when the Telo is at the head of the line? Otherwise, I would guess that other items on my network may try to grab all the bandwidth as much as the Telo (such as my Samsung Netflix streaming).

If the Telo is in the front, then the Telo can guarantee that it gets all that it needs.

Maybe I'm off-base on this.
#57235 by southsound
Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:48 am
AzJazz wrote:SouthSound - Wouldn't the QoS setting only be guaranteed to work when the Telo is at the head of the line? Otherwise, I would guess that other items on my network may try to grab all the bandwidth as much as the Telo (such as my Samsung Netflix streaming).

If the Telo is in the front, then the Telo can guarantee that it gets all that it needs.

Maybe I'm off-base on this.

First off, I'm not the networking person who should be answering this - maybe tommies, Davesworld, murphy, or someone else could give better advice - but from my understanding, your router should be able to set aside bandwidth for the VoIP traffic. The settings in the Telo will be ignored since there is nothing connected to the Home Network port. Maybe you could post your router brand and model and what kind of firmware it is running.
#57291 by AzJazz
Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:29 am
I've relegated my Telo to the back of the bus, since nothing else would seem to work well.

I reset my Telo QoS upload figure back to '0' again.

All my forwarded ports are working fine now.
#57316 by tommies
Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:24 pm
Many of us(myself included) prefer this setup (modem > router > [ooma + pc's]), so does many others prefer to put the ooma device a head (modem > ooma > router > pc's). Each setup has pro & con.

You don't have to worry about the video streaming affects ooma call quality. I did not have problem with ooma + streaming when I was with ATT DSL with only 1.5Mb down and 256Kb up.

Peer 2 peer will be a problem regardless of bandwidth (or speed in layman term) unless you tame it down with QoS: voip should be highest, p2p should be lowest, and every thing else is in between.

You need to setting up the QoS in the router if it supports QoS, or buy a new router, or put the ooma up front to handle QoS. Regardless with way you choose to go, please post, and some one will find way to help.