Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#56912 by Knight2000
Fri May 28, 2010 9:45 am
Hello Ooma community,

Before I ask my question let me say that I have searched the forums and didn't find a similar question, or may have missed it if there is one. I know someone will reply with, "This is a repeat question, why didn't you search the forums?"

Now that is out of the way, my question is if I upgrade to Ooma Telo & Handset, can I still use the original Ooma Hub and Scout in my house - on the same phone line/number? or do I need to choose another phone number for the hub and scout? I would like to upgrade to get full advantage of the new features and hardware functionality, but don't want my hub and scout system which I paid $295.00 for to sit in a box in storage after about only one and a half years of use.

Thank you,
Knight2000
#56914 by southsound
Fri May 28, 2010 10:17 am
Many of us have used the hub/scout and Telo on the same Internet connection - both during beta testing and now in real life. I recently retired my hub/scout because I found that the Telo served all my needs - you may discover the same at a later date. I'll try to cover what you asked and some of what you didn't:

1. If I upgrade to Ooma Telo & Handset, can I still use the original Ooma Hub and Scout in my house Yes - they can co-exist very nicely.

2. On the same phone line/number? No. or

3. Do I need to choose another phone number for the hub and scout? Yes. The two systems will be totally separate and cannot share the same number.

If you have your ooma systems after your router, you can just connect them up (of course, setting the MAC address in the Advanced settings to Use Built-in to avoid problems). If you want to use the hub after your modem but before the telo, you will need to change the IP address of the Telo - just change the 35 to 36 in all instances. This is how I had mine set up at first as I have an integrated DSL modem/router.
#56924 by Knight2000
Fri May 28, 2010 11:27 am
Thank you SouthSound for the excellent response! You covered all the bases, even the one I didn't ask regarding the placement in my network. I'm leaning toward taking advantage of the Telo upgrade promo now.

Thanks,
Knight2000
#56926 by murphy
Fri May 28, 2010 12:09 pm
Knight2000 wrote:Thank you SouthSound for the excellent response! You covered all the bases, even the one I didn't ask regarding the placement in my network. I'm leaning toward taking advantage of the Telo upgrade promo now.

Thanks,
Knight2000

Read the fine print.
I think the upgrade promo moves your number(s) to the Telo and results in a deactivated hub.
It would cost $60 (I think) to re-activate the hub.
#57023 by ajw522
Sun May 30, 2010 10:03 am
murphy wrote:
Knight2000 wrote:Thank you SouthSound for the excellent response! You covered all the bases, even the one I didn't ask regarding the placement in my network. I'm leaning toward taking advantage of the Telo upgrade promo now.

Thanks,
Knight2000

Read the fine print.
I think the upgrade promo moves your number(s) to the Telo and results in a deactivated hub.
It would cost $60 (I think) to re-activate the hub.

According to the Ooma Rates page, it would be $79.99 to reactivate a deactivated Hub box. So, if you update to the Telo (I just bought one through the update promo myself), you have the option to reactivate it for that fee. What I may end up doing is just selling it on eBay / Craigslist, since I don't really have a use for it...like Southsound said, I believe the Telo will serve all of my needs.